Açaí Berry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgx2

Reaction score
Cost of ingredients: $20.26

3 L pure Açaí juice
1 341 mL can of Welch's 100% Red Grape Juice Frozen Concentrate
~500g brown sugar
1 tsp acid blend (use one with no citric acid, if possible)
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 tsp tannin
2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp black tea leaves
A few medium toasted oak chips
1 pkg bentonite
1 pkg Lalvin EC-1118 yeast

Generally, the Açaí juice I use tests at about 1.062 so I do need the grape juice and sugar in the quantities indicated.

Dissolve the tannin, yeast energizer, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, cocoa, tea leaves and acid blend with some of the juice. Use the rest to dissolve the brown sugar. Combine these mixtures with the oak chips in a 160 oz jug (to give enough headspace for foam and other expansion products) and shake madly to ensure it's well blended. Confirm that the OG is at 1.085, then added the yeast and fit a nice clean airlock.

Of course, the amount of sugar you need to add will depend on the OG of the Açaí juice.

Rack into a 1 Gallon (128 oz) jug when dry, which will be less than a week. There will be a LOT of sediment, as most pure Açaí juices are simply ground berries and will have a lot of pulp. I topped up with whatever water was needed after adding about 500mL of POM Wonderful pomegranate juice, because it was on sale for $2.00. You may wish to do the same, or use a similar volume of wine.

Final ABV level should be about 12.5%

This came out very well, BTW... It's a little acidic at bottling time, but I can really see the aging potential. Surprisingly viniferous, very fruity...

Açaí wine in a glass.jpg

I used a product which is "100% juice" -- pulped berries in water. As such, I got a large volume of sediment -- so, patience is a virtue with this one. Having said that, it's been a delight! :)

Back