90 Minute IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieB428

Reaction score
For Christmas I got a gift certificate to my LHBS so I'm planning on a brew day next week. I'm going to do a 2.5 gallon AG batch of 90 minute IPA.

7 lbs Briess 2-row Brewers Malt (or 2-row pale malt depending on what's in stock)
1 lb Amber Malt

Since this is my first AG batch I don't know what my efficiency is going to be so I'm picking up a pound of DME just in case.

Beersmith is telling me I should have a 1.082 OG at 70% efficiency with an estimated ABV of 7.8%

I haven't decided on the hops yet, it's going to depend on what's in stock, but I'm hoping for Amarillo, Chinook, and Warrior. Thinking of going with a mix of 1 oz Amarillo, .5 oz Chinook and Warrior and doing equal additions every 5 minutes and then dry hopping with .5 oz of each for a week before bottling.

Now to clean out the hall closet and turn it into my brew closet.

Just got back from my LHBS. She was out of a lot of stuff, someone from out of town had just been in and stockpiled a bunch of things. Here's the plan with what I could get my hands on. How does it look?

Batch Size: 2.5 gal
Grain
4 lbs Briess 2-row Brewer's Malt
3 lbs Briess 2-row Pale Ale Malt
.75 lbs Briess Caramel Malt 60L

Hops*
1 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Northern Brewer
.5 oz Chinook

Yeast
WLP001 California Ale Yeast

*Hops split evenly for 10 additions. First addition at start of boil then every 10 minutes including flameout.

Beersmith is showing the following (if I hit 70% efficiency):
Est OG: 1.079
Est FG: 1.020
Est ABV: 7.9%
IBUs: 94.0
SRM: 12.7

I was planning on using either S-04 or US-05 for yeast but she was out of both so I went with the WLP001. This will be my first time using a liquid yeast. The bottle says to use 1 bottle for a standard 5 gallon batch, since this is a 2.5 gallon batch should I just pitch the whole thing? Any need for a starter? At $8.80 a vial, I definately plan on washing the yeast after and saving it.

I would pitch the whole vial, since it's a pretty big beer. Check out the Mr. Malty yeast calculator and see what it says you should do. There should be a date on the vial, you can go backwards to figure out the date it was packaged (can't remember exactly how many months, you'll have to google it).

I did a lot of three gallon all grain batches and always pitched the whole vial.

I would continually hop with warrior then the chinook and then amarillo

I have tried several continually hopped beers with mixed results but taking the kind of approach I just mentioned worked out really well for me

Without the warrior & simcoe hops, it won't have the same hop character as the DFH version. Also, the malt character will be off without using Thomas Fawcett amber malt (this is the malt DFH uses). They also use an English style yeast like WLP007 or S-04. Not saying it won't be a great beer, it sounds delicious! Just won't be the same.

Just an FYI though. Maryland Homebrew has simcoe leaf hops and the TF amber malt. I just brewed a 90 minute clone last weekend.

Having never had the DFH 90 I wouldn't have anything to go on. This is just meant to be a generic Imperial IPA. The 90 minute boil is because I'm intrigued by the continual hopping over 90 minutes. I was planning on using S-04, but my LHBS was out of tons of yeast so I went with a neutral yeast out of what they had. My only other option would be to try to make a S-04 starter out of the yeast in the last bottle of my brown ale sitting in the fridge. I may still try that considering I'm not brewing until next Thursday. All in all, my $40 gift certificate covered everything except for $0.97 so I think I made out pretty well and I just ordered an aquarium heater and Corona style mill from Amazon last night. I am NOT going to try crushing 8 lbs of grain with a rolling pin.

Back