90* Fittings needed for plate chiller/pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovetop535

Reaction score
Do I need to use 90* fittings in an attempt to keep as much stress/kinking off my hoses as possible? Or is it ok to cut the hose a little long and let it naturally make the bend?

I am almost finished with my stand and when I ordered fittings I only ordered 2 of the 90* fittings. Here is a pic of what I am working with.

DSC04586_zps5de369e0.jpg

Its hard to see but there is a 90 to a qd on the output of the plate chiller. Is a 90 needed on the pumps or kegs?

I know the cooler looks stupid. I have one other keg, it is just not converted yet to use as a mash tun. For now the cooler gets a fancy stainless bulkhead and will be basically maxed out every time I brew.

You're good to go with that set up. 90's would let you cut some slack out of the lines though and might look a little cleaner.

Form or function?

Take care,

Function. The slack doesnt bother me since it allows me to use a few of the hoses in other places. The entire thing was built with cull lumber from Home Depot and assembled with leftover parts. I have splurged for a few items, the stainless fitting and chiller, but other than that I am not trying to win any style contests. I just want to make good beer.

I've had issues with hoses kinking and flopping over, especially on the pre-pump side, which then causes the pump to run dry. Looking at how you have your hoses run, it looks like you shouldn't have that problem, even if a hose gets warm and extra pliable.

Back