90 cs 60 min. boild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nil

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I would like to know the benefits & advantages of a 60 min vs. 90 min boil. Any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance & have a Happy Holidays!

Nil, :mug:

The above is the main reason for a 90 minute boil.

I also know a number of guys who do 90 minute boils standard to make calculations easier and more consistent. Plus with all-grain brewing, going for a 90 minute boil will required you to pull more runnings, and can give you a boost in efficiency.

The above is the main reason for a 90 minute boil.

I also know a number of guys who do 90 minute boils standard to make calculations easier and more consistent. Plus with all-grain brewing, going for a 90 minute boil will required you to pull more runnings, and can give you a boost in efficiency.

+1 on more detailed info!

I really dont see how a 90 minutes boil will make calculations easier. I also dont see the impact on the process efficiency. Actually, reducing the volume to < 5 gallons would require qs with sterilized water, increasing the risk of contamination.

I am not familiar with the process of pulling runnings. Can you advice?

Thanks!, Nil :mug:

I really dont see how a 90 minutes boil will make calculations easier. I also dont see the impact on the process efficiency. Actually, reducing the volume to < 5 gallons would require qs with sterilized water, increasing the risk of contamination.

I am not familiar with the process of pulling runnings. Can you advice?

Thanks!, Nil :mug:

A 90 min boil is good for hoppier beers, boiling the hops longer gets more out of them. But if you do other styles at 60 mins that means you have to adjust you volume calculations. If you just do 90 all the time you don't have to adjust anything.

Your end volume is the same either way, there's no need to top off with water, you just start with more wort in a 90 min. It helps efficiency because you are pulling more wort from your mash ton to get more volume to start out with. Starting with more sugars but ending up with the same volume. Make sense?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Home Brew mobile app

A 90 min boil is good for hoppier beers, boiling the hops longer gets more out of them. But if you do other styles at 60 mins that means you have to adjust you volume calculations. If you just do 90 all the time you don't have to adjust anything.

Your end volume is the same either way, there's no need to top off with water, you just start with more wort in a 90 min. It helps efficiency because you are pulling more wort from your mash ton to get more volume to start out with. Starting with more sugars but ending up with the same volume. Make sense?

This.

I don't make a habit of 90 minute boils myself, unless I'm either using a good portion of Pilsner malt in the mash, or if I'm doing something special (such as a long boil on a Scottish ale for extra maillard reactions for more malty caramel flavor).

I also avoid boiling hops longer than 60 minutes. Others may (and probably do) have different experiences, but if I boil hops longer than 60, I find I extract a bit of a vegetal character, and there's a threshold to how much can be isomerized, and you don't get a linear increase in IBUs when you increase from 60 minutes to 90 minutes. I'm not well versed on the science why (although I know there is some out there), but it also jives with my experience. Point being, when I do a 90 minute boil, I still add hops at the 60 minute mark.

But yeah. For a 5 gallon batch, I start with 6.5 gallons for a 60 minute boil. I start with 7 gallons for a 90 minute boil. In both cases I end at 5 gallons post-boil +/- .1 gallon or so. Some just find it easier to let something like BeerSmith have their equipment set up to 90 minute boils every time, and make the water calculations easier without having to go in and change settings.

And when you increase the sparge water to college those additional runnings, you pull a little extra sugar out with it. It means that where I may get 78-80% mash efficiency for a 60 minute boil, I'll get 80-82% for a 90 minute boil. You just have to watch and make sure you don't oversparge and start pulling things you don't want out of the grain.

Makes perfect sense, still lost on the adjustment volume calculations for a 60 minutes boil.

I know that the IBU calculations assumes a constant 6.5 gal volume (which is not true). Assuming a linear water evaporation rate, it is easy to program this into an excel spreadsheet and get a more relatively precise IBU value. Just needs the final volume. The 90 minute wont be different.

I dont see an added value to spent 50% more propane to get a 4-5% increase efficiency.

Thanks! Nil :mug:

I think Qhrumph sums it up nicely. Just some anecdotes from my brewing experience...I do extended boils on my RIS and barleywine. Both for the reason of extra efficiency because of a smaller mash tun. As well I doa fairly long boil(2 hours) for my barleywine to develop more carmelization. Hops on the barleywine don't get stated until 60 min left.

I actually do both depending on what style I'm making. Beersmith makes it really easy in the profiles to switch back and forth once you get the different profiles setup.

Back