90%+ ADF - is this even possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dachoe

Reaction score
I brewed an American brown that had a 91% ADF. Here are the stats:

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.005 (yah... 1.005)
ADF: 91.3%
ABV: 7.25%

Mash 152F 60 min (was aiming for 154F, but was too drunk and too pissy from an epic stuck mash to bother -_-)

75.5 4.25 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
5.9 0.33 lbs. Wheat Malt
7.1 0.40 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
7.1 0.40 lbs. Crystal 40L
4.4 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt

Fermented at 67F with WLP001 (California Ale Yeast), and left it there for 2 weeks before racking into a keg.

If you're wondering about the tiny amounts of grain, I do 2.5gallon batches, bc I don't drink that often, I just like to brew.

I like to think that my sanitation is pretty good. After the boil, I cover the kettle. I use Star San to sanitize everything, and that's after a good cleaning with PBW.

Anyone else get this kind of attenuation?

My thought is that your bulk mash temperature was actually less than 152F; producing a very fermentable wort. Either your thermometer is off, or the mash wasn't fully homogeneous.

i agree with GNBrews that the mash was probably lower or not consistant temps...i've had an amber ale hit 88% and i narrowed it down to that... that was with S-05. do get a good consistant temp i need stir my mash every 3-5 min for the first 15 min.

do you take temps from different areas in the mash, or just one? is your thermometer calibrated? just things to consider.

:off: i'm in the process of brewing a brown right now, yours sounds yum. our recipes are fairly close, if you change out victory for the wheat we are dead on. :mug:

i agree with GNBrews that the mash was probably lower or not consistant temps...i've had an amber ale hit 88% and i narrowed it down to that... that was with S-05. do get a good consistant temp i need stir my mash every 3-5 min for the first 15 min.

do you take temps from different areas in the mash, or just one? is your thermometer calibrated? just things to consider.

:off: i'm in the process of brewing a brown right now, yours sounds yum. our recipes are fairly close, if you change out victory for the wheat we are dead on. :mug:

I do stir the mash around for a while, and take readings in several different places (bottom, top, middle, sides) but it's still possible that I didn't get a good reading. I double check next time.

Latest posts

Back