9 yr old corny needs cleaned.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomadNate

Reaction score
I have 2 corny kegs that I bought a few weeks ago that need cleaned. The seller told me they haven't been used in 9 yrs. I have purchased all new o rings, relief valve and pop its. There is a brownish layer coating everything inside. Does anyone have a good practice to cleaning?

I would start with a long soak with a strongish solution of PBW and very hot water. And if you have a keg brush or a "keg wand" (drill actuated cleaning cloths on a stick), hit it with that.

I would start with a long soak with a strongish solution of PBW and very hot water. And if you have a keg brush or a "keg wand" (drill actuated cleaning cloths on a stick), hit it with that.
Agreed on the long hot PBW soak. Depending on how bad the inside are, perhaps add a little lye (drain opener) to it. When you use lye, just watch the skin and eyes, use adequate protection!
Also soak the dip tubes, posts, poppets, and lid/PRV valve assembly.

You can use a brand new, and dedicated to this job toilet brush for easier brushing/cleaning the inside of kegs.
And/or use that cloth flapper on a drill, @VikeMan mentioned, make sure to remove the long dip tube first!

I bought some kegs that had been sitting for many years, with some soda syrup left inside. They cleaned up well.

And replace all the o-rings.

I use the Bucket Blaster (from MoreBeer) to clean my kegs. Has tubing to connect to ball locks (includes the QD's for them) to clean inside the tubes as well. I fitted mine with a CIP ball (1/2" NPT connected). With the heavy coating inside your keg, I'd at least start with a full fill of strong (hot) PBW and move on from there. Get it as full as possible, and make sure the dip tubes are also fully submerged (make sure fluid goes inside them).

I have yet to need to clean with anything besides PBW. Depending on how stubborn the stuff in your keg is, you might need something stronger. Or just a couple of soaks. You can also use a dish brush (I'd never recommend a toilet brush, no matter what). IME, a dish brush should be long enough to get full depth, with your arm inside the keg opening. Unless you have thick arms. Pull at least the liquid dip tube out before you do that, so that you can get everywhere easily. Depending on your reach, you could also try some BKF (Bar Keepers Friend) inside.

Just be sure to give a complete rinse for whatever you use to clean.

Back