8th batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLeahey

Reaction score
My first post and hello to all who appear as addicted to home brewing as I've become.
To date I've brewed a imperial nut brown, English style nut brown, IPA, a dry hopped pale ale, a light summer ale and a few other pale ales. My favorite.
Here's the one from yesterday. Looking for some feedback on wether I've lost it.
I call it a pale apple ale.
Grains. .5 carapilis malt. .5 crystal malt
DME. 6 lbs Muntons extra light
Bittering hops. German Pearle 1oz
Flavoring hops. Sorachi Ace. 1/2 oz.
Yeast. Safale s-04 dry
Steeped grains in 1 gallon water heated to 160 and removed. Added 5 gallons water and DME. Brought to a good rolling boil and added bittering hops. Boiled for a full hour adding the flavoring hops last 5 minutes. Brought the wort down to 70 degrees. OG was 1.050. As I racked it to the primary I added 1 quart 100% pure apple juice. Pasteurized with no additives or preservatives. Pitched the yeast and today it is fermenting nicely.
So let me have it. Nuts?

Welcome to the board! Nuts, no. Creative, yes. I've never added apple juice to my fermenter, but it is a very fermentable sugar and may impart a "dryness" to the beer more than flavor as it is more fermentable than the malt.

One thing for sure, it's beer!!

Keep us posted.

Cheers!

Your not kidding about the apple juice being highly fermentable!
Had to rig up a blow off tube with my airlock. Airlock alone couldn't handle it.

image-448299863.jpg

You'd have gotten more flavor out of the hops if you boiled them 20 minutes instead of 5. 5 minutes won't add much flavor.

True on the flavoring hops. In retrospect probably shouldn't have bothered as my intent was to not over power the apple taste I'm hoping for.

The Sorachi Ace having that lemon flavor,it should add some tartness to whatever apple flavor remains. So even 10-12 minutes would've been good.

Good point. Depending on how this batch turns out I will definetly take your advice.

See where your 5 minute addition gets you. Then you'll more easily be able to figure out how much additional time the hops need to get it where you'd prefer it.

I don't think you're crazy. Let us know how it turns out. I'm curious if you'll be able to taste the apple over the beer. I noticed that when I added lactose to an apfelwein it tasted more like apple than when I didn't, I'm guessing because we aren't used to tasting apples that are not sweet.

If you want a tried and tested beer / apple combo, check out Graff. I made some a few weeks ago, and it's excellent.

Back