85* wort - too hot to pitch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denverd1

Reaction score
So I pulled a rookie move and topped off my primary with warmer water than I intended. I cooled it to about 100* then started adding water, vigorously stirring to make sure the sugars and new water all mixed.

Now I'm staring at a full primary thats around 85* no way to feasibly cool it.

Can I go ahead and pitch the White labs yeast? or seal it up, let it cool for a few hours, then pitch?

Its an American Hefe if it matters.

Cheers!:tank:

let it cool. Put the fermenter in a swamp cooler and try to get the temp down.

Thx. I'm tempted to toss my chiller in there but I know it will take forever and I'm not a fan of that thing anyway.

Should I toss some ice in a ziploc and put it in there? I guess I could set it in my kegerator...

swamp cooler setup. I'll keep an eye on the temp.

Cool it e externally any way you can... or wait... dont risk infection. If you process is clean waiting a bit won't hurt.

Agree with everyone here to wait. Put some cold, wet towels on the bucket and put a few towels in the freezer and switch them out. You should be able to get it down to 78 quickly.

I normally do 2 ice baths in my pot but wanted to get another batch on the boil and dumped it straight to fermenter after chilling it to 100*.

Got it to 75* and pitched it. Thx for the input.

Absolutely cool it to fermentation temp or slightly below before you pitch. If you pitch then let it cool the yeast will get sleep and struggle to do their job. It will stress them out and you are likely to get some off flavors from it. It's ok to let the wort sit for even a couple days as long as you have a good sanitation regimen.

Back