85% efficiency and recipe tweaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolly

Reaction score
So I finally got my own mill (crankandstein2A) and my efficiency shot up to 85%.

Here's my question. I'm getting higher og beers than my recipes call for, and I'm adjusting the hops accordingly. BUT, should I also be increasing my specialty grains because of the greater extract I'm getting from the base grain?

I would think you would want to reduce your base malt to hit the gravity your recipe is designed to make. do you use recipe design software? I highly recommend Beersmith 2.0. you can get a free trial version and see if you like it. (You Will) also Mac compatible

If the recipe calls for 75% efficiency instead of 85%, you could just add top off water pre or post boil to lower the efficency down to your target.

If the recipe calls for 75% efficiency instead of 85%, you could just add top off water pre or post boil to lower the efficency down to your target.

This is exactly what I did once I got a grain mill. My efficiency got right up to 85%, just like yours, and I used my refractometer and some more water to bring my wort to target gravity. What's wrong with more beer?

Back