8$ wheat bush beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again. I would like to say. THIS IS NOT ABOUT CHEAP!! it is about making beer when, as if in the boonies of alaska, you dont have access to a LHBS.. my hair is a bird!!

underground and under the influence

pulpfictionbeverage.00.gif

Mileslong just drank your tasty beverage. Ahhh... the interwebs.

Back on topic though - has anyone else given any thought for hop substitutes other than the tea? I mentioned a couple back a few pages, somebody also mentioned gruit beer which was a very good recommendation to this topic:

Gruit (sometimes grut) is an old-fashioned herb mixture used for bittering and flavoring beer, popular before the extensive use of hops. Gruit or grut ale may also refer to the beverage produced using gruit.

Gruit was a combination of herbs, some of the most common being mildly to moderately narcotic: sweet gale (Myrica gale), mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris), yarrow (Achillea millefolium), ground ivy (Glechoma hederacea), horehound (Marrubium vulgare), and heather (Calluna vulgaris). Gruit varied somewhat, each gruit producer including different herbs to produce unique flavors and effects. Other adjunct herbs included black henbane, juniper berries, ginger, caraway seed, aniseed, nutmeg, cinnamon, and even hops in variable proportions. Some gruit ingredients are now known to have preservative qualities.

Interesting read.. I don't think you could find most of these though in your everyday grocer, probably an all organic shop like Whole foods or Trader Joes - I'm going to check when I go to Whole Foods tonight - I've never heard of either 6, I don't know if they are literally narcotics or something you could find in the seasoning isle! LOL ****, I'm laughing at myself here. Back to researching..

It's been over a week now since I brewed the original, I'm going to check gravity again tonight, then it's cold crash time..

JSmith- many herbs can be used in place of hops. You can use some items from the grocery store, or some items found in the environment near by (Juniper berries/twigs).

Commercial examples include Fraoch (using heather flowers, sweet gale and ginger) and Alba (using pine twigs and spruce buds) from Williams Brothers in Scotland; Myrica (using sweet gale) from O'Hanlons in England; Gageleer (also using sweet gale) from Proefbrouwerij in Belgium; Cervoise from Lancelot in Brittany (using a gruit containing heather flowers, spices and some hops); Artemis from Moonlight Brewing Company in Santa Rosa, California (using mugwort and wild bergamot, Monarda fistulosa, also known as bee balm or horsemint); and Bog•Water[1] from Beau's All Natural Brewing Company in Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada (using Bog Myrtle).

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruit

" *Juniper Berries* "

The flavour profile of young, green berries is dominated by pinene; as they mature this piney, resinous backdrop is joined by what McGee describes as "green-fresh" and citrus notes.[7] The outer scales of the berries are relatively flavourless, so the berries are almost always at least lightly crushed before being used as a spice. They are used both fresh and dried, but their flavour and odour is at their strongest immediately after harvest and decline during drying and storage.

I'm really digging this right here, piney with citrus notes.. Thinking I'll look for this today as well. Reading up on this is starting to make me want to again adjust my recipe - mixed with ginger, a single addition at the boils beginning, ditch the orange and coriander, using corn - rice - grain cereal and barley syrup, might be able to pull of a tolerable light ale, a mock-lager..

Again. I would like to say. THIS IS NOT ABOUT CHEAP!! it is about making beer when, as if in the boonies of alaska, you dont have access to a LHBS.. my hair is a bird!!

Perhaps you'll excuse people for thinking its about cheap when the subject is "$8 wheat bush beer" and the first line of your first post is "This is a cheap beer."

:D

I understand. I just dont care about buying bulk 2 row to make stuff a for less. really has nothing to do with bush beer.

1.009 - I went ahead and tossed it in the fridge. Hit Whole foods, no juniper, went with my original grocery list. Here we go again

Perhaps you'll excuse people for thinking its about cheap when the subject is "$8 wheat bush beer" and the first line of your first post is "This is a cheap beer."

:D

"I understand. I just dont care about buying bulk 2 row to make stuff a for less. really has nothing to do with bush beer."

What??? I'm confused....

Can anyone help me with the amount of Wheat Bran and Malted Milk?

The OP says half a bag but I saw different sized bags at my grocery store. I ended up buying a 600gr bag (1 and a quarter pounds). So is 300 the correct "half"?

Also the OP says to add Malted Milk. The only one I can get around here is Ovaltine in 400gr (just under 1 pound) jars. So the full jar or what?

Thanks

I think adding pumpkin and pie spices could work with the tea. Might give that a try this week.

My first go is carbing. Plenty of yeast after cold crash and gelatin too; bread yeast is making some furry sediment in the bottles.

2 more weeks

Beer-Baron said:
How can I try it out? I don't know how much Wheat Bran to use? Is your bag 600 grams?

Mine was 283 grams (10 oz) and I used half of the bag for the 4 gallon recipe.

I think adding pumpkin and pie spices could work with the tea. Might give that a try this week.

My first go is carbing. Plenty of yeast after cold crash and gelatin too; bread yeast is making some furry sediment in the bottles.

2 more weeks

Funny you say that charesty - mine had already started clearing out when I tossed it in the fridge to crash it however there is so much sediment and fall out, I don't even know if I'll be able to bottle via my Mr. Beer keg that it's sitting in! It appears built up OVER the spout!

My hopes are that it is murky yeasty liquid and not fallen krausen..

Question for you though, at what point did you decide to add your Gelatin? My batch will be going on 2 weeks Wednesday I believe, I was thinking of giving it a dose Wednesday, then one Sunday, then bottling the following Wednesday - that being clarity dependent however sitting at 42F and 2 helpings of gelatin, I would suspect it's going to be pretty clear.

I didn't get a chance this weekend to brew my Bushman Wit lol, thinking tonight will be the night. It was going to be brewed last night however I forgot the Walking Dead premiered, had to watch that. Doing my homework so this beer comes in handy when it counts the most :mug:

*EDIT* - Beer Baron FYI - I used the entire box of wheat cereal for my original 2 gallon batch. You can adjust how you see fit however I opted for lots of cereal in hopes of getting a very heavy wheat taste. Being the fermentables in this beverage mainly come from the manual sugar addition, I felt the more flavors I can get and emphasize other than alcohol the better. I believe the weight on my box was around 14-16oz. Take it and run with it how you will! I suppose that's the fun of this topic!

Question for you though, at what point did you decide to add your Gelatin?

After 10 days primary, I added gelatin after two days of chilling down to about 35 F at day 12. Then another dose about a week later since the first didn't seem to have much effect. Cold crash and clearing took about 10 days for mine.

I think I'll chill one down Friday nite of this week and sample Sat.

PS. I think I'll start watching season one of the Walking Dead and try to catch up to season two. Lots of friends have said its worth watching.

After 10 days primary, I added gelatin after two days of chilling down to about 35 F at day 12. Then another dose about a week later since the first didn't seem to have much effect. Cold crash and clearing took about 10 days for mine.

I think I'll chill one down Friday nite of this week and sample Sat.

PS. I think I'll start watching season one of the Walking Dead and try to catch up to season two. Lots of friends have said its worth watching.

Right on, thanks!

And on Walking Dead, it's a great show. Season 1 goes for like 20 bucks, Blu-Ray is a little more but totally worth the extra bucks - half deteriorated zombie gore is always good, but it's god damn great in HD :D

Mashed in, 30 to go..

Already had to adjust my measurements. After the 15min mini mash and the 15min light boil on the corn, it really thickened out. I went ahead with the 2qt per pound water ratio when I added the cereal - 60 min on the clock. At 40 I went to take a peek at the temperature and the mash had completely thickened out. Brought an additional 1.5qts water up to 165 and added it immediately - the consistency is way better now, more along the lines of a standard mash.

Taking lots of notes here, got lots of pics as well.

Now this may just turn out tasting like an ale - no bread scents, no spicy aromas; at the time I started the boil, the wort literally could have passed for a couple of lbs of Wheat DME mixed in the water - it smelled and tasted like wort - wheat scent, grain flavor, sweet back tone..

Here's the final recipe I went with if anyone else cares to try:

Bushman Wit - 2gal (<-- What SWMBO and I were jokingly calling it last night)

Ingredients:
13oz Flaked wheat bran cereal
3.25oz corn grits
20oz Malted barley syrup
1lbs pure cane sugar
0.25oz fresh grated ginger (I used a peeler on the root itself)
0.50oz Bitter Orange
0.25oz Coriander
1 packet baker's yeast

Bring 1.75cups of water up to 165* F - Remove from heat and add your corn.
Cover, allow to sit for 15 minutes
Place corn back on heat and lightly boil for 15 minutes (it will thicken out and absorb the water)
Bring 3qts water up to 165* F in a 2 gal pot
Remove from heat, insert a cheesecloth bag wrapping the sides, stir in your corn, stir in your cereal, cover then wrap with a towel, mashed in - let it sit for 60 minutes
Stir at 30min mark - temp should read mid 150s (I was at 156 dropped to 153 for my mash)
At 20 minutes, place your jar of Malt syrup in a bowl in your sink and start running hot water on / around it to thin its consistency
Bring 1.25gal water up to 168 for the sparge with around 10 minutes left in mash
At 0 minutes, unwrap and pull the grains out, squeeze the hell out of the bag!
Place a colander over your 2 gal pot, set the grain bag in it, the rinse the grains with your 168* water
Again, squeeze the hell out of the bag!
Discard the grain bag, grab your Syrup from the sink and mix it into your pot
Wort!

Bring your wort up to a light boil (entire boil will be 30 minutes)

[30min] - Stir in your 1lbs of sugar
[30min] - 0.25oz Ginger
[30min] - 0.25oz Bitter Orange
[05min] - 0.25oz Crushed Coriander (I used a spice ball)
[05min] - 0.25oz Bitter Orange

Bring it down into the mid / lower 70s, strain into your bucket (to get the orange and ginger out) - you may need to swirl the last 2 quarts or so around the pot to get everything off the bottom that settled while cooling - mostly boil leftovers however it looked to me like some sugar rested as well. Add top off water to get yourself to the 2 gallon mark, pitch your yeast and lock it.

OG 1.050
Gravity Sample:
Appearance - golden brown
Scent - Fruity, faint orange, little to no coriander, wheat, sweet
Taste - Sweet, grainy / wheat, little orange, little coriander, no bitterness

Took about 2 hours before blub.... blub.... blub.... blub.... Activity!

I'll update on this one for sure, should be interesting. Fermenting in the basement which sits around 67*F.

Ingredients:
2011-10-17181658.jpg

Ginger Addition:
2011-10-17183159.jpg

Corn Mini-Mash:
2011-10-17184414.jpg

Cereal Mash:
2011-10-17194552.jpg

Heating up the Syrup:
2011-10-17194923.jpg

True - but barley malt syrup instead of malted milk, that's practically LME in a jar and ginger + orange + coriander, the beer drives a good chunk of its flavor from the wheat additive, this combination seemed like a better way to compliment it - Spicy, aromatic, orange, coriander, bitter. No hops but I haven't gotten any "hop" characteristics from the original recipe yet either so we shall see.

Speaking of straying from the recipe, I was thinking to myself last night while making this that if one took the Carnation Malted Milk and combined it with the malted barley syrup, ditch the cereal, use around 2oz cocoa beans in the first part of the boil and choose a very bitter herb, also a light aromatic herb for the boil end, you may just brew yourself a (2 gal) Bushman Milk Stout :p

Here's what drove me to mash everything instead of adding directly to the boil in case anyone is curious: >click here< The article was adapted from John Palmer's book "How to Brew".

I'm confused. Does the wheat bran need a mash for conversion?

does just boiling it convert it, or is it already sugar?

if I were to just mash the wheat bran, would there be sufficient enzymes in it for conversion?

where are the homebrew scientists on this one?

Beer-Baron said:
where are the homebrew scientists on this one?

Yes, with you on this! We need a pro to elaborate the subject because it's damn confusing to me as well.

My understanding was mashing the corn grit produces the enzymes needed to help break down the starches from the wheat grain cereal IE mash the corn, then add to the cereal and mash them both together.

This would be my first cereal mash, just dove right in hahaaa..

Yes, with you on this! We need a pro to elaborate the subject because it's damn confusing to me as well.

My understanding was mashing the corn grit produces the enzymes needed to help break down the starches from the wheat grain cereal IE mash the corn, then add to the cereal and mash them both together.

This would be my first cereal mash, just dove right in hahaaa..

well if that's the case there would be no way to do a mash following the original recipe. Unless you threw some of the malted milk in there and that had the enzymes in jt .

I wish I was a chemist right now.

Well the way I figure it now is that the fermentables come from the sugar and the 400 grams malted milk. That creates a drink around 4%. The wheat bran I think is just for flavor, I don't think it will add anything fermentable into the mix.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

you can add some amylase enzyme or beano to secondary or in the primary. It will convert the long chain sugars to shorter chains that the yeast can use. It takes a while at fermenting temps, but will take your gravity down near .000 and make a dry beer. I have done this before when I used corn or rice and didn't mash it with base malts.

just an update on my batch of this(bottle aged for 2 weeks or so now). The stuff is getting VERY clear and has a nice sparkle to it. the "tea" flavor is starting to mellow and it pours well, with a snow white head. BUT it is not beer,,IMO it tastes something like a wine or dry malt beverage. I will keep you posted:)

It really just wild how clear it gets even when using the malted milk!!

Latest posts

Back