8$ wheat bush beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to see a pic of the final product.
I also got a big laugh out of the snobbish responses initially.
I'm willing to try this myself, as I dont believe things should be done a certain way, simply because that is the status quo.

Heck, I'm tempted to brew this one out here in Afghan lol. Since I'm technically not allowed to ship in grains or hops, I might be able to sneak these ingredients past. lol.

This is interesting stuff. One week primary @ 60 f there is still a little sweetness at 1010 gravity. Started at 1040. I inverted all the sugar and cooked it to a straw color. One more week then I'll cold crash to settle out the bread yeast. I don't taste any off flavors and almost taste some bitterness from the tension tamer tea. I pretty much kept to op's original recipe.

You sir are a visionary!

They may laugh at you, but I enjoy your hillbilly ways.

I'd like to try a bottle, but I don't think I would actually want a whole batch of this stuff.

Heck, I'm tempted to brew this one out here in Afghan lol. Since I'm technically not allowed to ship in grains or hops, I might be able to sneak these ingredients past. lol.

Do it! Stick it to the man.

You're out there, you should be able to get whatever you want.

If you're going to buy stuff to make booze, why not cut a week out of the process and just buy Jack Daniels from the LN contractors? Next question- why does a contractor care anyway? I suppose things could have tightened up, but when I was deployed DoD contractors were sourcing half the battalion with the good stuff.

This is pretty cool!

When I first made beer my goal was to make something that had alcohol in it that I was able to consume without gagging. That was it! By doing that the mystery of brewing beer vanished and I felt like I (yes, even little old me) could brew the beer I drink.

Like Revvy sometimes says, I buy beer for "research" now. For drinking, I brew my own.

The OP sold this as a way to introduce someone to brewing. In that regard I think the OP deserves a lot of credit. In the way he or she has handled this thread I personally feel the OP deserves a great deal of respect.

You know what I'm trying this. I really don't care if it comes out terrible what have I wasted $8? It's $8 I smoke cigars that cost more than that when I drink the beer I brewed. However somedays I smoke a $1 cigar and drink whatever the bar or whatever my friends ice chests have around. I'm going on a hunting trip this weekend and will be back Monday and have to bottle my blue moon clone. I think I may run out to the store and try this. I might only sub the yeast for a brewers yeast and that's about it.

I've got a friend that makes mead using 1 gallon milk jugs rinsed out and sanitized places a baloon over the top pokes many small needle sized holes in it as an airlock and he uses store bought yeast, honey, and water of course.

So I'm not knocking this at all!

I enjoy doing experiments like this - it can be fun to see how primitive a level you can reduce the process/ingredients to and still get brew you can drink.

Remember, this all started with somebody's wet food stores thousands of years ago.

Is there a thread somewhere here in the forum for primitive brewing? At sea in a ship, while camping or hiking, jail brew stories, etc?

I always enjoy hearing everybody's parents depression or prohibition brewing tales. We humans have been making brew whatever the circumstances for a long, long time.

Subscribing...

High five MacGruber! Let's see what a glass of this beast looks like :D

**EDIT** Also, I noticed thumbing the topic that you gave recipe amounts in various places (the malted milk actually), maybe think about posting this measurement on the first page to complete this zombie takeover survival brew. I for one will definitely give it a try!

Charesty, any updates on how you're fairing?

Waiting for clearing. After a week at 33-34 F it's still not clear. I'd did a second gelating fining after the first didn't work. I'll give it one more week in the cold.

Nice golden color, just not clear.

IMG_0801_1-1.jpg

IMG_0796_1-1.jpg

IMG_0810_1-1.jpg

I had a good 10 minute read of all the posts. Im intrigued AND had a good laugh. What a good combination

Although I'm sorta put off by the whole "I can make alcohol for $8" theme, I'll reserve judgement until we get some pics of a final product, and 2) someone other than the OP to comment on the flavor.

I have my doubts like everyone else.

going to try this. how much malted milk powder/liquid? how many tea bags? details?

2 cans liquid malted milk. Or 1 1/2 powdered. The whole box of tea bags

underground and under the influence

o well, I was in a rush and used one can of malted milk ,and used light brown sugar ,,,and i added 2 tsp. honey think it will turn out ok? this will just be a "filler" beer for when I run out of the good stuff or for when bush drinking friends stop by anyhow, how do you carb it? how long will it keep in the old ice box??

I carbed with priming just like anything else. It keeps for awhile. Ive never kept it for more than 3 months.

ok thanks. does it taste like bush when done? Or is that just a name you gave it? right now it tastes more like tea beer. lol Where/how did you come up with this? How long does ferment take?

The name bush comes from bush planes in alaska. A trip to the store can take hours or days. For many its just not doable. Many stores arrange bush planes to bring the goods out to customers in the boonies. Unfortunately theres no LHBS in the middle of nowhere. You gotta use what you can get at the store. And thus bush beer is born. BUSH not BUSCH.. It will not taste like piss bud. It will not taste like an award winning brew. It WILL, regardless of what anyone tries to say, be a homebrew. One inspired by a demand regardless of supply. Enjoy.

Ps; high school = prison

2brew - What sort of time frame do you usually ferment / age / bottle this in? I have seen multiple posts where it was noted drinkable young, however to really clear it out would you say ferment 7-10 days (until hydro confirms completion) then crash it for a couple weeks?

Young is used here as a relative term. I ferment it for 12 days normally. I never move it to secondary. I condition in bottle for 2 weeks. This beer will skunk easy in any light so cover with a dark towel. I cold crash the bottles in the freezer before consumption as with any " cheap beer " its best ice cold not 50* F

when you say "cold crash" do you mean placing the bottles in the freezer for an hour or something?

It is currently 4 days into fermentation. I didnt have one going when i posted. So in time, yes, i will have have photos posted.

I applaud you for your efforts. Being innovative and thinking outside the norm is what spurs on new ideas and what sometimes becomes the norm for the masses. I like your honesty about this brew. You are not trying to turn the brewing world upside down, but experimenting and utilizing what you have. Think of all the people we see as great minds today, and imagine what some of them were thought of in their time. The mark of a true individual is one that ignores the naysayers and pushes on. We need more free thinkers in this country. Too many sheep.

I grew up in a house where my mom did not want to cook and there was not much money, and not much to pick from in the fridge, freezer, or pantry. Out of necessity I learned to cook with what I had and learned what works together. I am thankful for that as it made me a great cook (I normally don't blow my own horn), and what eventually spurred me on to go to culinary school.

I have considered making a beer out of cereal. Every time I mash it smells like grape nuts to me. My wife even says the smell makes her want some grape nuts. Guess what cereal she bought at the store last time? Grape nuts. I see no reason a palatable beer cannot be brewed this way.

ozzy1038 said:
I am thankful for that as it made me a great cook (I normally don't blow my own horn), and what eventually spurred me on to go to culinary school.

I had a similar experience growing up, except instead of not having food it was a case of sweets being boycotted in my home growing up. I figured out how to bake sugar cookies from the back of a sugar bag, and went from there. Now I turn out stuff like this on a weeknight.

Not to toot or to take the thread OT, its just interesting to here similar experiences on how others got interesting in cooking/baking.

ForumRunner_20111004_101824.jpg

ForumRunner_20111004_101920.jpg

ForumRunner_20111004_102003.jpg

Back