8-Bit Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenny_d

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that can give me advice on the following recipe? I am trying to clone the Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale.

OG: 1.059
IBU: 43
SRM: 9
ForumRunner_20130730_154721.png

Hey Kenny, took a look and had a few questions for you, and based on those, I may have some recommendations. Let me also let you know I've never tried 8-Bit, but these questions are just more about general recipe formulation.

How did you decide on this recipe? Did Tallgrass list ingredients they use, or what?

You mean to do a partial mash, right? Because the grains you chose will need to be mashed and converted prior to the boil.

Why didn't you go with any crystal/specialty grain? Not that it's a problem, but I'm curious.

Why 2 Row? 2 Row is a base malt, so usually when you do a partial mash you'll substitute all of it for DME.

Why did you go with both Vienna and Munich? Does Tallgrass use both? They seem similar to me, Vienna is a little lighter in color and flavor, but generally I go with one or the other.

Hop profile... only issue I see is it seems like a lot of dry hops. You're welcome to go for it, but I saw this post about limiting dry hoping to an ounce or two, and I agree. I would move 2 of those ounces of Galaxy into either the last minute of the boil or at flameout. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pale-ale-dry-hopping-question-how-much-too-much-384453/

They did list all ingredients used for brewing, which is how I decided to formulate my recipe. I do not plan on doing a partial mash so which specialty grains do you recommend instead of the malts I have listed? I will move 2oz of the galaxy to flame out as opposed to dry hopping.

Ok. Honestly, there is no true specialty grain substitute. Specialty grains are just different than base malt. Extracts are the substitute for base malts. The extracts are made up of different proportions of base malt, see the post (specifically reply #8) linked here. I can't verify the details, but it looks right.

So, the way I see it, you have 3 options...

1. Convert to all extract using the information linked above, trying to match the recipe as closely as possible. Also, they make a Munich LME that works pretty well.
2. Do a mini-mash of 1-2 pounds of a Victory/Munich/Vienna combination. To do this, put the grains in a mesh bag (like you would to steep) and hold the temperature for an hour at around 150 degrees and then add the extract to it during the boil.
3. Get away from the trying to match the malt profile and do the DME, maybe some Munich LME, and then steep up some Caramunich and maybe some Crystal 40L.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Thanks for the thorough replies and information! I think I will go with option 2 since it will only add 30 minutes over steeping and likely produce a much better beer. Does 8ozs of each sound like a good combo? This is the little ingredient quote from the Tallgrass website:

"Malts: 2 Row, Victory, Vienna & Munich
Hops: Magnum, Centennial, Cascade & Galaxy"

Yeah, 8 oz of the 3 different malts will be fine. It's not exactly going to overpower the DME, however it will help you understand the mashing process in case you want to go all grain some day. Again, it may not really match the 8 bit you're trying to clone, but as they say, it will be beer.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

Will do, I will probably pick up the ingredients on Friday and brew it up this weekend!

Back