6hr flight, VA to CA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grateful Dan

Reaction score
I have a friend in CA to visit but the flight is 6hrs. I first have a 1hr flight to DC, then the 6 hr flight to San Fran. I have not flown since before 9-11 and never longer than 2 hrs. I have a fear of heights and I am a lil claustrophobic. Can anyone give me some info on what I will have to go thru? Am I overly nervous for no reason?

Anxiety is a real thing. I had a mild fear of flying a number of years ago. Took a job that requires air travel 8 years ago. Now it's no different for me than getting on a bus. Took a bit to get more comfortable with it.

Consider taking a dramamine before getting on the flight. Talk to the flight attendant. Let them know you dont travel much and are uncomfortable. They are trained to help.

Finally a drink or two either right before or during the service after take off will help. Most flights over an hour will accept credit cards. Dont get drunk just enough to take the edge off.

Know that it is by far the safest way to travel. Sit back, Talbot the person next to you or watch a movie and enjoy the flight.

Xanax with a whiskey chaser seems to work for my friends. Arrive early, go over TSA rules for what you can/can’t bring and in what amounts, try to not get a window seat unless you think it might help, try not to step in any poo when you get to San Fran and DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES IN YOUR CAR. Seriously, car breakins are rampant.

You probably already know this but your about 600 times safer in the plane then you are in the car on the way to the airport. Best thing I can suggest is not paying attention to or being worried about the noises the plane makes. Ball screw actuators on the control surfaces make strange whirring noises but it's all normal.
Anyway good luck and once you're there I suggest celebrating with good food and beer at
Suppenküche - 525 Laguna St.
Place is awesome.

Last edited:
Maybe you can lose yourself in a couple of movies. Take headphones. If you have not seen it, The Upside is fun.

This. Even better, get a season of some show like Game of Thrones or something else and watch while flying. You'll wish you weren't landing :) Consider getting all your media on a tablet, then bring a phat battery pack to keep it going all flight. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-RAVPower-20000mAh-External/dp/B07VWG2L4D/ref=dp_ob_title_wld

Audiobooks are great as well. Been known to drive around the block to finish one. Plus the the kid next to you won’t be making faces when the T&A scenes are on.

The above advice with noise canceling headphones. They are relatively inexpensive now. I had a job that required at least 8-10 flights monthly. The headphones were a godsend. Usually I would fall asleep before taxiing.

I have flown, at times, numerous times in a year, and then there will be maybe 2 or 3 years without flying at all. What I've found is that there are all sorts of bumps and noises and such in a jet airplane, and they're all normal. But when you haven't flown, you don't know that. The wheels retract into the plane, there are these bump/thump noises, and you wonder "What was that!!??" But it's just the gear. Same with when they extend the flaps, or retract them. There's a whining noise you can sometimes hear when they deploy, but that's just normal.

Same with a little turbulence. You realize you've been through a few bumps before, the plane didn't fall out of the sky, and that's that. But if you haven't flown for a while, you don't know what's normal and what's not.

I once flew into St. Louis on a little puddle-jumper, back before 9/11. They had a curtain between the cockpit and the passenger section. This day, they had the curtain pulled back and I could lean out into the aisle and look out the front of the plane. It was a bumpy day, very windy, and we were coming in to land in a bit of a crosswind. I was a little nervous, but I kept watching the pilots. They were having the time of their lives, or so it seemed. No concern at all, it was just normal.

Nice landing, everything was fine. I learned that worrying about it didn't accomplish anything except make me nervous, and I'd already decided to put myself in the hands of professional pilots. And they were.

One thing you can do on the flight, if there's any bumpiness or anything, is ask your seatmate if that's normal. They'll tell you "yes," and you can watch the people around you to see if anyone else is nervous. You'll see most people ignoring everything that's happening.

Another thing I like is that some flights have an audio channel called the "Flight Deck" or something similar. It's the radio traffic from the plane to air traffic controllers. I think it's fun to listen and sometimes you'll catch a controller telling your pilot something like "Come right to heading 260" or some such, and you'll know you're turning before you feel the plane banking into that turn. I've found that on short flights that generally isn't available, but on long ones, much more likely. Try it, I think you'll find it fascinating.

BTW: I also have a fear of heights--I hate movies where people are hanging off a tall building, climbing a sheer rock wall, like that. I hate that. I've been in the St. Louis Arch, at the top, and never again.

But for some reason, in a plane that goes away. I'm not exposed to the outside. I'm not getting vertigo, I'm just looking outside and marveling how it all looks from up there. BTW, look as you go over the middle US and see if you can spot any wind turbines. They look like little tinkertoys. I think they're funny as hell.

I have a friend in CA to visit but the flight is 6hrs. I first have a 1hr flight to DC, then the 6 hr flight to San Fran. I have not flown since before 9-11 and never longer than 2 hrs. I have a fear of heights and I am a lil claustrophobic. Can anyone give me some info on what I will have to go thru? Am I overly nervous for no reason?

IMO the worst part is just getting to the airport and through TSA. After that I find my gate to make sure I know where it is, then it's time for a beer and relaxation.

The next worse part is boarding, then it's getting off the plane.

Enjoy the flight. If you get a chance to sit behind the wing watch the control surfaces, look at the wiring, plumbing, and mechanical devices when they are exposed, I find it very interesting.

What kind of planes are you flying on?

Fear of heights is irrelevant. You’re mostly gonna deal with claustrophobia. Aisle seat is best for that. As soon as you sit get that little AC vent open and blasting on your face. Helps trick your brain into not feeling stuffy/cramped.

Kindle type ebooks are great to keep you focused on something. Movies work too.

Pack with layers. Its cold here. Then warm. Windy. Crazy. And definitely watch out for ****.

My only real stressor while flying is missing flights. Seems like no matter how many hours I leave for a layover, my first leg always ends up delayed enough to cut it too close for comfort for my connecting flight. Especially when customs is involved.

One time some unannounced track work on the train from Paris to CDG got me an extra day in France (though our airport hotel was awful compared to the one in the city). That was a fun accident.

Other times with crappy airlines I've missed connections because of delays, and spent a prolonged period (like 12-24 hours) in an airport and city I didn't want to be in. That's a lot less fun.

Leave plenty of time both getting to and through the airport, as well as in between your connections. Not the case with your trip, but doubly so internationally.

Do a parachute jump. I'm not kidding, after that, flying will be easy. Helped some friends of mine a lot. Again, this is not a joke. You might want to do a bunjee jump as well, if you got the possibility nearby.

I have a fear of heights. Like close to having a panic attack being on a single story roof bad. Flying doesn't bother me a a bit. I pop on my headphones and either listen to music and read or watch videos saved on my tablet. Designed my basement remodel on one flight recently. On a 6 hour flight I'd probably buy a pass for the internet if available. The worst part is going to be the seats, or more specifically your seat which is going to be sore after sitting on skimpy foam for 6 hours.

But the process of air travel has gotten awful. TSA screening is a time consuming joke. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally flown with something disallowed in my computer bag but the millimeter wave thing regularly reports something around my one shoulder even wearing a light shirt. Then there are the inevitable delays and abysmal customer service. I had to travel to east-central PA 3 times over the last 3 months. I totaled over 36 hours in travel delays and 2 extra hotel nights over what was planned. The longest was due to Delta issues pushing our flight out a couple hours, then weather, then their crew timing out on hours. They called it a weather delay so they didn't have to pay for our hotel rooms and food. Well most of us. They gave some people vouchers...which just outraged everyone since it didn't take long for everyone to figure that out back at the hotel bar.

Thanks to everyone! I had some scary flights back in the day. Bad storms. One time we were sent to a different airport to land because of a storm. After circling forever we tried to land, as soon as the wheels hit ground we went straight back up. Almost hit another plane on the runway. I am thinking of getting a chrome book to watch movies or binge watch a show. Also bring a book. I'm hoping I can get beer on the flight. I was told I can get the airplane bottles of liquor but I stopped drinking liquor yrs ago.

I've traveled by air a lot over the years and my main peeve has been security or delays. At one point we were traveling to Las Vegas on a red-eye flight (late) and we took a delay. I was annoyed and crabby knowing we wouldn't arrive until late.
The wife noticed my frustration and a few seconds later a handful of snacks and a can of beer appeared on my upright seat tray.
It was Miller Lite but I wasn't complaining. Not a bad reward for being grumpy ... but anyway, even as a frequent flyer, I get simple travel anxiety simply from getting out of my routine. I'm a cynic so I'm ALWAYS expecting something to go wrong, so I try to minimize the stuff I can control by traveling light, removing metal or liquids out of carry-ons, and making an overt attempt to prevent my frustration with large crowds from showing.
Yeah, the beer helps. One or two on a cross-country non-stop flight with a snack fixes my Joe Pesci routine quick.

Do a parachute jump. I'm not kidding, after that, flying will be easy. Helped some friends of mine a lot. Again, this is not a joke. You might want to do a bunjee jump as well, if you got the possibility nearby.

I hate heights.
Thirty-some years ago I took a road trip with a couple buddies. We got in line for a double-loop roller coaster.
The first half of the ride was terrifying. It was a rough few minutes. The first thing I did when I got off was get right back in line for a second ride, then got on a suspension coaster that advertised a 30meter vertical drop.
Sometimes you gotta push your limits.

I'm generally fine flying, but bad turbulence scares the sh*t out of me. And I guess it affects me at a more primitive level because reminding myself that it's normal doesn't help. But what does help is looking at other people's calm demeanor--especially the crew.

I was a freight dog for a couple years back in the day where the cargo had to be there or else, what ever the weather. You get so used to turbulence now I actually kinda like it.

Had a flight a year or so ago. I was sitting next to a pilot in first class. Just before touchdown on landing the plane does a little sideways and front to back wobble. Me traveling a lot had no clue and took it in stride. The pilot next to me grabs the arms of his chair and just about craps himself. We landed fine. I looked at him and said how bad was it? He says in all seriousness "That's as close to crashing as you have come without crashing. The crew up front just wet themselves." (Sometimes its just best not to know.)

I live in Oregon but my I grew up in Georgia and most of my family is there and I also go to Florida a couple times a year for sailing so a short flight is rare for me. I would say just relax. Watch a movie or two or sleep. I like the window seat and there is a lot of amazing scenery to see. Remember driving to the airport is the most dangerous part of the trip.

Back