60ibus in a 1.042 beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusOwnz

Reaction score
I was brewing a small Black IPA today and I was aiming for something between 45 and 50ibus so i calculated .75oz of Warrior at 17.2% AA would give me something like 42 then the .5oz of cascade at 10mins would give me like 5ibus. Whelp like an idiot i dropped in the whole pack of warrior so I threw in an oz instead of .75oz, now my calculations have me at 60ibus. Think this beer is gunna be f'd? I'm obviously gunna still drink it I'm just wondering if the 60ibus in a 4.3% abv beer will be nasty.

If you're used to drinking high IBU beers to begin with I don't think it should really make any difference. I honestly can't distinguish anything smaller than a ~10 IBU difference in IPAs. The darker the beer, that higher that number goes.

I decided I wasn't thinking clearly. I'm just nervous. This the first recipe I've ever created my self rather brewing recipes from brewing classic styles or friends. I know better, I mean we are talking between 10 and 13 ibus difference from my recipe which im sure will be fine. Just a small panic. Thanks guys.

I brewed one not too long ago and ended up with a 1.040 beer with 60-65 calc'd IBUs. It was a little on the bitter side, but it was good. The only thing working against you is that in general for low gravity beers, you don't need as many IBUs to balance the beer (obviously depending a little on the FG).

In short...RDWHAHB...it'll be fine.

I had no reason to panic, poured my first pint of the batch last night and man is it great. When I brew this again i don't even think I'll drop the hop bitterness just gunna add a bit of crystal 60 and call it a recipe.

Back