60A control panel hooking up to 3 prong dryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiveyb

Reaction score
So my intention was originally to slowly upgrade from my 3 tier cooler setup to a single tier direct fire to a herms and then going to an electric setup. However, in searching for parts I happened upon an electric setup which cost marginally more than the single tier I was working on...

So now I need to provide power to the control panel. I would like to replace the dryer breaker with a GFCI breaker, and remove the current connector that fits the control panel and put it onto a 30A 3 prong nema 10-30p cord. However, I don't think I can do this because there is then no ground? I also certainly understand that I can only fire one element at a time.

Alternatively I was looking back at P-J's diagram fo just my situation. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=266751
This looks like a do-able option. A couple of questions first, I believe, but am unconvinced that there is a neutral as the dryer plug in the wall says 30A-250v not 30A 125/250v? That L on the outlet is definitely a neutral and not a ground? Second, can I install a plug into the Spa panel that will fit my current primary power cord (a GE dryer/Range cord w/ a 50A marinco connector? And lastly, how is this setup grounded? I don't doubt P-J when he says so, i am just looking to understand.

I don't anticipate living here long, so I don't want to spend a crazy amount on an electrician to wire a new outlet for the brewery. I also don't want to start a fire or be electrocuted, and candidly know enough to understand that I don't know enough. I will not flip any switches without a look through by an electrician.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Given the cost of GFCI breakers, which probably won't work in your new breaker panel once you move, I suspect your best bet is a plug-in spa panel on the existing outlet to provide a neutral and GFCI protection per P-J's diagram. That could be moved with you and modified to provide just GFCI protection on a 4 wire circuit if necessary once you move.

Spa Panel for sure, they are extremely easy to setup and you can take it with you when/if you move. Not an electrician, nor do I play one on TV, but you plug in/wire your control panel with the 4-wire(including ground) into the spa panel which has a ground bar that connects to the GFCI in the spa panel. Therefore your ground is before the the 3-wire that goes to your dryer plug.

Thanks! I am going to do just that and have an electrician check it out before plugging it in!

Got everything wired up and it runs like a champ.
Awesome.I run a spa panel with a dryer cord coming out of it and unplug the dryer on brew day.I also run a 25 ft 10G extension cord out of the other end of the spa panel and run the cord from my basement to my kitchen where I brew.So nice not brewing in the basement...Everything is 3 wire. The extension cord works great!!

Pics or it didn't happen :)
I put a 20 foot cord with a dryer plug so I can run it out the back door and under the carport. I don't need the extension.... until I move. How do you not destroy your kitchen with water and wort on brew day?

20160922_232905.jpg

I put a 20 foot cord with a dryer plug so I can run it out the back door and under the carport. I don't need the extension.... until I move. How do you not destroy your kitchen with water and wort on brew day?
If your careful and wipe up any spills its not so bad. I have hardwood floors that clean up real easy.The steam is another issue.Door and windows in the kitchen will be open during boil for an hour.A fan will help. Kinda sucks watching your heat go out the window on a 30 deg day but it is what is. Kitchen brewing is best done when the wife not around :)

Latest posts

Back