6 Week Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowveil

Reaction score
So my local club is doing a lawnmower-style beer challenge for Big Brew day, and planning to have the beers ready to serve about 6 weeks later. My plan is to brew a 10 gallon batch, fermenting 5 gallons with belle Saision yeast and the other with (likely) WLP830 and tossing a few chipotle peppers in the keg for a few days to add a little bit of heat and pepper flavor.

I have a fermentation fridge with heating/cooling capabilities, a stir plate and 2L/5L flasks, so yeast propagation and temperature control are not a problem.

I've been reading up on Tasty's Lagering method of ramping the temperature up from 50*F -> 65/70*F over the course of two weeks (allowing 80-90% of active fermentation to occur at lower temps, thus reducing off flavors), and am wondering....

Has anyone had success with this method?

My recipe will likely be somewhere as follows:

10lbs continental Pils malt (61.5%)
5lbs Briess 2-row malt (31.2%)
1lb Carapils (6.2%)

.5oz Magnum (14.9%AA) at 60 minutes
2oz Aramis (8.2%AA) at 15 minutes
2oz Aramis (8.2%AA) at flameout

Mash low, 149ish for 1 hour, 90 minute boil.

Projected OG 1.040, IBU 30, SRM 2.9

I could always just pitch a clean ale yeast instead, but would really like to get a crisp character from it and am not sure if 6 weeks would be enough time to really achieve what I'd like with a lager strain.

Thoughts?

You can make a decent lager in 3 weeks with a low og. 4 weeks for sure. Why do you think it needs 6 weeks?

Thanks for the reaffirmation. I've got little experience with lagers, so was really just looking for reassurance.

Back