6 Gallon Carboy too big for 5 Gallon Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scripto

Reaction score
We have a stout in our primary, which is recommended to transfer to a secondary. However, our secondary is a 6 gallon glass carboy, and this is only a 5 gallon batch. Wanted to see what the recommendation is, in this scenario, do I keep it in the 5 gallon plastic fermentation bucket? Transfer to the 6 gallon glass carboy? Any help would be appreciated.

You can totally transfer it if you want to. Not sure how long its been in primary but you might want to purge the 6 with C02 before the transfer and then don't bother it. But if its been in the primary less than 3 weeks then I would leave it in the 5 gallon. But thats just me.

Cheers
Jay

As I see it, You have three options.

1. Flush the 6 gallon secondary with CO2 after you transferred from your primary

2. Leave it in the primary and forget about a secondary. Bottle or keg it when it has finished.

3. Go buy another primary for your next batch while waiting for this one to finish. So you can start a new brew. You can never have too many primaries.

Since 1 & 3 say leave it in the primary, those are the ones I'd pick.

If it was primaried in a five gallon bucket as you say, allowing for head space, you probably have four gallons of beer. Most six gallon carboys actually hold around 6 1/2 gallons. That's way too much head space for a beer that didn't need to go to a secondary in the first place.

And I'm only guessing, but if you're asking this question, you probably don't have the ability to purge?

And I'm only guessing, but if you're asking this question, you probably don't have the ability to purge?

I don't, but would be open to finding out more about what this entails. I do have a CO2 tank for our kegerator. Not sure what else is needed for this process, but any help is always much appreciated.

Take your co2 and pump it into the 6 gallon carboy before racking into it. I would just go buy a 5 gallon better bottle. They're cheap and you will certainly need it again.

Ok, any preference between Plastic v Glass? Wide mouth v Narrow? Thanks for all the help.

If you're using it as a secondary, narrow and filled to the neck. Long term (year plus) aging I'd go with glass. Medium to short, plastic is fine.

Get one of each. It's only money. You'll make more. Like JustLooking said, glass is better for long term aging. I like the plastic with the wider openings when i'm dry hopping.

Latest posts

Back