6.5 Gallon Carboy Handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wherever you put it, only use it when the carboy is empty. If you want a good way to transport a full carboy, use a milk crate or a brewhauler. There's even a writeup on here how to make your own brewhauler if you don't want to buy one.

Rope Hauler

I learned that lesson first hand. Don't try and pick up a full 6.5 gal caroby with a handle like that. Probably the saddest day in my brewing history.

I just got my 6.5 gal with a brewhauler. It's worth every penny.

I brewed for years without a Brewhauler and used the handle rather inappropriately. I realize now that I was simply lucky and never paid the price.

Once I actually had a Brewhauler, I will never not use one (or a DIY similar contraption) on a full carboy again.

That said, my friends and I also used milk crates for a while, but we always had a "two people carry full carboys" rule.

Since seeing some bloodshed on this forum due to broken carboys I have been crossing my fingers and treating carboys like bombs... brew-haulers are on my next order!!!

Can someone please answer the OPs question...I am wondering the same thing. I plan to only use the handle to move the carboy when it is empty, but I too would like to install it in the correct position.

I've got mine under the bottom one. My logic is that it seems the further up the lip you go the weaker the structure of the glass would be.

I've got mine between the two lips. Right or wrong...it's working thus far.

Yeah, My wife says it is working for her when I do it that way...

Damn - can't believe that slipped through my filter - must be all the homebrew while making another batch... Sorry.

picked up two for each of my carboys,,I put it betwen he two lips and locked it down tight,,hauled a full carboy from kitchen to back closet no problems so far.. I thought that was what the handles we for to haul full botttles..listening to you guys I will use my carboy hauler from now on..thanks

Back