5l mini kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitthewall79

Reaction score
I have never done kegging before, but I feel like this would be way more convenient then having 100's of bottles laying around. My question is how effective these are for storing beer/cider? my other question is those little taps that you can buy for these that run off of CO2 cartriages, how effective are those for serving slowly? could you put one of those baby taps in there and drink it over a months period without the beverage oxidizing?

thank you all in advance, and I am really excited to try and get into kegging

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Give us a link to what you're looking at. There are a number of different setups out there, and it's hard to tell if you're referring to corny-style kegs or the Tap-a-Draft type.

Give us a link to what you're looking at. There are a number of different setups out there, and it's hard to tell if you're referring to corny-style kegs or the Tap-a-Draft type.

something like this ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392748288.233509.jpg

is the name of the draft system for that call tap a draft? the draft thing is this picture is what i'm looking for, and then the 5l mini kegs i'm looking at look something like the one with the red tab hanging out of it. I want to use the tap a draft system instead to carbonate the beer as it comes out, instead of naturally pressurizing these kegs

something like this View attachment 180339

is the name of the draft system for that call tap a draft? the draft thing is this picture is what i'm looking for, and then the 5l mini kegs i'm looking at look something like the one with the red tab hanging out of it. I want to use the tap a draft system instead to carbonate the beer as it comes out, instead of naturally pressurizing these kegs

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392748454.851839.jpg this would be the keg i would be using

I used a Tap-A-Draft system before I started kegging. I think the 5L mini kegs are a little more versatile than the TAD, in terms of DIYing your own set up. If you like the TAD dispenser idea, there is an adapter for the 5L kegs. I think the other dispenser is the Party Star system. Same concept, different execution. There's good and bad reviews of both systems.
Not that it makes much of a difference, but I've always thought the 5L kegs just look cool.
If you like the TAD, purchase it through a homebrew supplier. (I like Williams Brewing). The TAD manufacturers website sells extra caps and rebuild kits for a little cheaper.
http://www.sturmanbg.com/home
The website doesn't look like much, but I've ordered through it without incident. I highly recommend upgrading the caps for the TAD bottles. The major complaint of most users has been related to the caps not sealing properly. The molded caps with installed o-ring,sold on the website, are a dramatic improvement over the foam lined stock caps.
There's lots of info within HBT on both set ups. Search is your friend.

How well does stuff age in these 5l kegs,and once they are opened, how long do they stay good for?

Sent from my MILESTONE3 using Home Brew mobile app

Not quite the same, but we just got these back in stock:

http://morebeer.com/products/stainless-steel-minikeg-growler.html

They seal tight so you can bottle condition or just fill like a normal growler without it losing carbonation (I recommend counter-pressure filling for best results from a keg).

Just thought some of you may be interested, cheers! :ban:

Not what I'm looking for, but that's actually really cool...

How well does stuff age in these 5l kegs,and once they are opened, how long do they stay good for?

Sent from my MILESTONE3 using Home Brew mobile app

I would imagine, if they are sealed properly, they would be the same as a normal keg, or bottle. How long the beer will last once opened will all depend on whether you're using the CO2 to serve. If you're not, you might have a few days before the beer goes flat. If you are, you'll have longer.

The 5l mini kegs are pretty cool and affordable. I highly suggest building a draft system out of a mini fridge so you can have your own drafts at the house without the complete cost of a corny keg sized fridge and initial start-up cost associated with corny's.

Never used the tap a draft, but if you condition the beer with dextrose (or whatever), i'm sure the little co2 canister will stop oxidation as long as you aren't trying to carry it around the bbq like a baby.

Pros of the mini's in my mind:
-Actually look like a 15.5 gallon sankey keg
-Have a built in gravity tap
-easy to fill
-Hold about 10 pints and some change

Cons:
-They suck to clean, and it is a little tougher to be aseptic
-Gravity tap may harbour bacteria on its filmy lubricant?
-If your friends like to drink more than a few you might need a few
-Can't peel off the label (if there is one)
-Tend to rust after a couple full cleanse/sanitation cycles

Back