5L keg distribution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. Kinda new so i apologize if this is the wrong section to post in. Anyway, I was just wondering why more 5L kegs aren't out there. And I don't mean the Heineken or new castle things that have the built in tap. I mean the kind that have a regular D style or whatever kind of keg hook up.

Also wondering what would happen if a distributor went to a craft beer brewery and was willing to make the investment on these 5L kegs and wanted a steady supply of beer to be put in them. Would it never happen bc of some sort of infrastructual mechanism I am unaware of or is it because there has never been a demand?

If a distributor paid for it would the typical brewery be willing/equipped to handle such an order?

I hope one of ya'll might know! thanks for your help. :fro:

Maybe for people to buy and take home. I can't picture them being used at a pub to serve on tap though. Simply because 5L isn't much beer. I used to do small batches of homebrew like that, but I just found the small batch wasn't worth the same amount of effort I would put in to get 5+ gallons. If I knew of pubs that would fill them if I brought them in, I might be interested. But I have several nice 2 liter growlers that keep carbonation for a long time, so I don't really see the point.

Just my 2 cents.

well i was thinking about those of us who have kegerators. especially with multiple taps who may want variety or want to try a new brew with less risk if we didnt end up liking it. was just wondering if some had the money and the desire if the industry itself would be capable

but i see your point it isn't much beer at all.

Back