5G Deep South Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I have a new oak barrel that was ordered with a toasted char interior. I'm planning to use this barrel to age some sort of basic sour to get started into barrel aging.

Michael Tonsmeire published a basic sour recipe (Perpetuum) using mostly base malts with some oat and other flaked grain adjuncts at around 20%. The yeast called for lists Wyeast 3278 (Belgian Lambic Blend) as an option. Low 11 IBU of Willamette at 60 min is the only hop charge.

I'm asking for advice about process, so if you see anything I'm planning to do is not a good idea, please redirect my plans....

*I'll condition the barrel by adding some cheap bourbon mixed with water in an effort to hydrate the wood and infuse some nuance. Alternatively, I could opt for red table wine to do the same thing if suggested. Need advice about barrel prep.

*I'll plan to ferment the beer in my Ss Uni tank until I see fermentation slowing down or hitting FG. How long will that be if I set temps at 65F? Never used 3278.

*Transfer beer to conditioned barrel and I assume gravity fed transfer with hose direct to barrel? I worry about oxidation, but I also may be right in thinking the porosity of the barrel negates O2 free thoughts anyway. Am I on track? Purge the barrel with CO2?

*Being the barrel is new, how quickly will the beer's desirable "barrel aged" nuance develop? Don't want to over oak the beer with a new barrel. I suppose the length of time in the barrel will increase with a few uses.

Any thoughts to help out? Thanks!!

You need to run several clean beers through it, otherwise you're going to get way too much oak in several sour beers. Plan on running at least three clean beers through it but probably more like six for a new barrel.

+1 to mashpaddled's advice. That was my first thought.

I'll condition the barrel by adding some cheap bourbon mixed with water in an effort to hydrate the wood and infuse some nuance.
I'd think this would pull out more flavor than it would add. Not something I would do.
Just add bourbon or the spirit of your choice to the beer if you want the flavor.

I'll plan to ferment the beer in my Ss Uni tank until I see fermentation slowing down or hitting FG. How long will that be if I set temps at 65F? Never used 3278.
The Belgian/sherry strains in the blend ferment about as fast as any yeast in my experience, 1-2 weeks.
Consider 5 IBU or less for the first run with the culture. Commercial bacteria are pretty wimpy.

I think a gentle transfer (without splashing) is perfectly fine.

Don't forget to top up periodically to account for evaporation.

Mike's book has a chapter about barrels. Check that again :)

Wish I had a barrel! Some day.
Happy brewing!

Following this as I am planning to start a solara in the winter/spring with a 15g barrel from Corsair. I have heard the advice about clean beers first which makes sense and I have been going back and forth on fermenting with brewers yeast first then bugs in the barrel and just starting with everything in the barrel. Morrey why have you chosen the path of ferment then barrel? What do others think about all in the barrel?

Morrey, good advice in here in re running some clean beers through it first. Once you get that done and are ready to make that barrel forever sour...

IMO, I would ferment out with whatever sacc you want in your uni. Then transfer to the barrel and pitch fresh bugs/brett. Then let it ride. Also, have you considered waxing your barrel to minimize O2 exposure? I waxed about 40% of my 15 gallon barrel. I'd probably wax 80% (if not all of it) of a 5 gallon barrel.

Also I'd go ahead and put a Vinnie Nail in as soon as you get it filled. You can get the right size nail off amazon in like a two pack without having to buy 100 nails from McMaster-Carr. Shoot me a text/email if you can't find them. I ordered some months ago for my solera barrel. This will allow you to take samples without introducing oxygen. And it's cool as hell to pop the nail out and watch the beer stream out.

You know how to find me if you need further explanation. I'll be doing the first pull from my solera barrel in a month or so, right after we get settled in the new place.

Back