5G carboy sufficient as a second primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walrusbt

Reaction score
So I got the 6.5G bucket and a 5G carboy with my kit from Midwest. I'm planning on brewing my first batch this weekend, but I'm anxious to get another batch going soon after. I plan on putting the cream ale in the primarty bucket and going long primary only, which leaves me with the 5G carboy unused. So onto the next batch....of course a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy isn't exactly the best route, so should I just go with a blow off tube to make this work or is this still insufficient for brewing a 5 gallon batch? I'm not sure if losing (potentially a lot of) kraussen is a problem.

too small for a 5 gallon...i would go 4 gal max w/a blowoff tube

That's what I figured. I don't mind doing a 4 gallon batch - I've really been considering doing some half-batches, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to get too far away from the original recipe on my second batch. Well, after spending on the inital set-up I was hoping to slow down spending for a while, but I may need to go get another carboy soon.

When you do decide to invest in more carboys, checkout bells brewing. I bought another 6.5 and 5 to increase my brewing capacity and even with the shipping on such a large package it was cheaper than everyone else including my LHBS. I think I paid $28 for a 6.5 gal and $24 for the 5 gal.

That's what I figured. I don't mind doing a 4 gallon batch - I've really been considering doing some half-batches, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to get too far away from the original recipe on my second batch. Well, after spending on the inital set-up I was hoping to slow down spending for a while, but I may need to go get another carboy soon.

why not just buy a bucket? they are much cheaper than a carboy.

This!

Also, the necessity to transfer your beer to a secondary is not dogma. Many brewers (including myself :ban: ) are reporting successful fermentations without ever bothering with secondary. I know this is a hot button for some people, but before you sink a bunch of cash into some other carboys, maybe try out the plastic bucket route. Worst thing that could happen is you could be stuck with a couple extra plastic buckets.

I've been using my 5 gallon carboy for all of my batches that use pilsner malt. I just mash normal to get my ~6 gallon pre-boil, then just do a 90 minute boil to end up with 4.5 gallons. I use a blowoff tube, but it's never really been necessary yet.

So I got the 6.5G bucket and a 5G carboy with my kit from Midwest. I'm planning on brewing my first batch this weekend, but I'm anxious to get another batch going soon after. I plan on putting the cream ale in the primarty bucket and going long primary only, which leaves me with the 5G carboy unused. So onto the next batch....of course a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy isn't exactly the best route, so should I just go with a blow off tube to make this work or is this still insufficient for brewing a 5 gallon batch? I'm not sure if losing (potentially a lot of) kraussen is a problem.

I was recently given a 5 gallon glass carboy that I wanted to use for primary (My bucket was full).

What I did was I went to my supermarket's bakery section and asked if they had any buckets. Thy gave me a whole bunch for free, one of which was a 2 gallon bucket. Score!

I made my five gallon batch, put 4 gallons worth in the glass carboy with a blow off tube (which I didn't end up even needing), and put he other gallon in the 2 gallon bucket.

As a bonus, I'm using that 1 gallon as a test batch to do all manner of strange things to. :mug:

Yeah, I have no problem with a bucket and will likely go that route in the near-term mainly to keep costs down. I guess I'd just prefer to have one carboy as a primary so I can see the fermentation process (not to mention have that carboy go unused when a secondary is not needed).

If you're in a bind you could always use your bottling bucket. It works, but over time it will probably ruin your rubber gaskets.

Back