550 cord ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaded_rust

Reaction score
Can I use 550 cord for my second year hops?
I used some cheap twine last year that had a hard time surviving the windy weather here and I have a ton of 550 cord

I switched from tomato jute to 4 ply sisal twine. The 4 ply was overkill. I'll use that until I run out. I also have 2 ply baling twine. I'll probably use that from now on.

Not sure how the 550 cord will handle. The 550 cord, I'm assuming, is paracord. It will definitely handle high winds with a high tensile strength. If you take the time to unwind the bines, you can reuse it year to year. I like that I can dispose of the rope with the cut bines, as sisal is biodegradable.

Can I use 550 cord for my second year hops?
I used some cheap twine last year that had a hard time surviving the windy weather here and I have a ton of 550 cord

Did you want to use 550 cord for your main line or for your bines to grow up?

I just strung up my trellis with 550 cord as the main line, and used 2 strands each of that small sisal for the bines to climb up.
The 550 just doesn't seem coarse enough for them to climb, but it definitely stretches much less.
Last year I used the 3/8" sisal for the main lines and it sagged down almost a foot, I'm thinking I won't have that problem with the 550 cord.

I think they will climb better on something a bit rougher, why not just get thicker rope that will last more than a year? Mine this year are strung up on some probably 1/4" rope.

I tried that a while a o and had some stunted bines from the dye? or something just use sisal bailing twine now.

.... why not just get thicker rope that will last more than a year? Mine this year are strung up on some probably 1/4" rope.

Because I already have tons of 550 cord, and if I could use it that that's what I'd prefer.
But it seems like most are advising against it. Maybe I'll just use it for the support and let the bines climb the other stuff

Back