500g propane tank (can I use it?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
I just had our 500g propane tank swapped out for a cheaper supplier. So I haven't called to cancel my contract yet with the other supplier just yet. But I now have the old tank off to the side with at least 5% that I believe is about 25g of gas left I paid for. I was wondering if I can just hook up my turkey fryer to it and brew a few batches before I call and have them pick it up? It has a regulator on the tank, I think the next one is for the appliance in this case the fryer I attach. Is this safe?

I was going to use the gas up but then afraid to run out before I got the new one..I hate cold showers.

Do you have a low or high press. Regulator @ the tank?

This would be the question. I'm betting if the tank was designed to run the whole house, it is a higher pressure reg, and won't work. Though you could always try it, just make sure to start filming first and have the camera far enough away that it won't melt :tank:

A high press reg will be red.. a low is usually brown...what appliances are u running off ur gas?

I just had our 500g propane tank swapped out for a cheaper supplier. So I haven't called to cancel my contract yet with the other supplier just yet. But I now have the old tank off to the side with at least 5% that I believe is about 25g of gas left I paid for. I was wondering if I can just hook up my turkey fryer to it and brew a few batches before I call and have them pick it up? It has a regulator on the tank, I think the next one is for the appliance in this case the fryer I attach. Is this safe?

I was going to use the gas up but then afraid to run out before I got the new one..I hate cold showers.

Won't your supplier give you a credit for the propane they are reclaiming?

My advice is if you don't know what you're doing, don't mess with it. Propane under high pressure is serious stuff. Trying to reclaim 25 gal to make a couple batches of beer is not worth burning yourself or blowing up the neighborhood.

You should be able to connect. You are going to need a long run of line to get from the top of that tank to wherever your burner is located. Is buying the line and fittings cheaper/easier than having them pick it up and getting some sort of credit for having some gas in it?

And yes it will make the news, if it's on video.

I will quickly answer a few questions and come back later if I missed anything.

No they will not refund what is left in the tank. Already asked that and even the new supplier knew that. They told me to try and time the install so I don't have to give any back.

We run out house heat and the hot water heater.

There are 2 regulators. One at the tank (red I believe) and one on the side of the house (grey I think)

Well, not everyone thinks this a good idea and yes I will probably need a longer hose so probably best I forget the whole idea. But since they deliver only enough gas (delivery weight) to keep me going until they can return to fill it I may ask the delivery guy what he thinks if I am around when he shows up.

Thanks.

Turns out I got a check for the gas left in the tank. Not sure why but I know the first woman I spoke to when I was looking to cancel said I would not. After I got switched over and called to cancel another woman told be I would get a check and I did for about $90. I guess the other was trying to perswade me to stay???

Then like over a month AFTER I canceled they called to ask why and was there anything they could do for me. Should'a had that conversation BEFORE I canceled and when I told them I was thinking of doing so. Bottom line I told them...it cost me less $$.

Turns out I got a check for the gas left in the tank. Not sure why but I know the first woman I spoke to when I was looking to cancel said I would not. After I got switched over and called to cancel another woman told be I would get a check and I did for about $90. I guess the other was trying to perswade me to stay???

Then like over a month AFTER I canceled they called to ask why and was there anything they could do for me. Should'a had that conversation BEFORE I canceled and when I told them I was thinking of doing so. Bottom line I told them...it cost me less $$.

Well that's good. I love when I call to cancel a service and then they offer to lower the price. So, basically you're admitting that you've been ripping me off all this time and now you will lower the price when I want to walk out the door? See ya.

Well that's good. I love when I call to cancel a service and then they offer to lower the price. So, basically you're admitting that you've been ripping me off all this time and now you will lower the price when I want to walk out the door? See ya.

My wife uses this to our advantage all the time.

Directv: call'em up to cancel. Why? Too expensive, we need to cut costs, I got laid off, my wife is on disability, whatever. Before you know it, she's getting us $$$ off the monthly bill plus some goodies on the side.

Pretty much the same with our cell service, internet provider and a couple others,

My wife uses this to our advantage all the time.

Directv: call'em up to cancel. Why? Too expensive, we need to cut costs, I got laid off, my wife is on disability, whatever. Before you know it, she's getting us $$$ off the monthly bill plus some goodies on the side.

Pretty much the same with our cell service, internet provider and a couple others,

I plan on using this tactic soon with the cable company. Greedy bastards

Back