500 Litre Brewing Setup with Herms Coil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fetuccini

Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading to a 500 litre brewing setup and wondering whether it would be a good idea to have the Herms system installed in the HLT, which i've been using with a much smaller setup up until now.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Someone mentioned that you just use single temperature infusion with the bigger setups, ie dump the grains in at the desired strike water temperature, but i'm not completely convinced. I get the feeling i'll be able to make a better quality beer with the herms coil system, just not sure how practical it is with 500 litre tanks.

Hella first post imo. Do you envision a gas or electric herms system and is this system something you intend to fabricate yourself or are you looking for an existing product?

I have no experience to offer other than I am building a small scale (40 litre) gas fired herms system at the moment.

Hella first post imo. Do you envision a gas or electric herms system and is this system something you intend to fabricate yourself or are you looking for an existing product?

I have no experience to offer other than I am building a small scale (40 litre) gas fired herms system at the moment.

Hi beernutz, actually built another one for a 100 litre system with electric heating elements. The 500 litre though will be heated with gas. Will use a temperature controller to switch on and off the gas burner to maintain a steady mash temperature. Plan would be to install the herms coil in this myself, but struggling to find anyone else brewing with this scale equipment and how they do it.

Back