$500 budget - Kegging Setup - Beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkitlinski

Reaction score
I have a $500 budget to get my setup started. I already have the kegerator. I would prefer something that will last for a long time quality wise. Prefer to stay away from a beginner kit that would be good only to get started. Thanks!

Wowzers $500! with already having the kegerator you are a step ahead ( that all depends on what you want). The traditional sanke kegerator holds what 3-4 cornnies? ( if thats what you have). So to be honest you should specify what sort of kegging setup you want, I payed $150 to get me kegged. since then it has blossomed into owning 5 cornies and a two tap kegorator. for 500 bucks you could do a little or a lot...all depends on your patience. I wait for the best time to buy since I'm a college grad that is under employed. My suggestion, let us know what are your kegging goals?...one tap, two tap, twelve tap? We could guide you more accurately.

Thanks for the quick reply. Looking for a single tap. Will bottle certain batches. Keg would be utilized for batches that I like. Looking to experiment quite a bit and do seasonal brews. New to this, but don't want to waste money on beginners kits that are quickly outgrown.

You'll need a few kegs. I'd go with a few better bottles and/or buckets as well. Get a good autosiphon, a really big pot, a good burner, and look into temperature control via a fridge, a freezer, or a swamp cooler.. You won't be sorry with the results.

I'm assuming you are doing extract, but I'd save some of that $ for when you're ready for all-grain.

You'll need a few kegs. I'd go with a few better bottles and/or buckets as well. Get a good autosiphon, a really big pot, a good burner, and look into temperature control via a fridge, a freezer, or a swamp cooler.. You won't be sorry with the results.

I'm assuming you are doing extract, but I'd save some of that $ for when you're ready for all-grain.
You just spoke in another language to me....Is there a link to a page where I can buy what I need to get started? Complete beginner.

I had a conversation similar to this a few nights ago. Are you looking to get started on kegging specifically *or* homebrew in general? Do you want to get into all-grain immediately, or stick with extract/extract+specialty grain? What size batches?

After your brew pot (go as big as you think you will need), a beginners setup is a beginners setup. You will find pros and cons for just about all the different types of equipment & materials used for that equipment, but in some cases the cheapest option is going to perform exactly the same as the pricier one (fermentation vessells specifically).

$500 is a bunch of cash, but when you start adding up the wish-list it can go quick:

$50-$100 for a basic stainless BK (5-10 gals)
$150-$250 for a basic kegging setup (single keg, 5 lb co2 tank, regulator assy, gas lines, beer lines, tap.)
$15-$40 for fermentation vessel (plastic bucket - glass Carboy)
$50-$100 for misc brewing equipment (airlocks, tubing, hydrometer, bottles, caps, cleaner/sanitizer, scale, thermometer)
$75- up for fermentation chamber with temperature controller
$20-$50 for your first recipe kit.

Plus extras that you will soon learn you just "have to have"!

I had a conversation similar to this a few nights ago. Are you looking to get started on kegging specifically *or* homebrew in general? Do you want to get into all-grain immediately, or stick with extract/extract+specialty grain? What size batches?

After your brew pot (go as big as you think you will need), a beginners setup is a beginners setup. You will find pros and cons for just about all the different types of equipment & materials used for that equipment, but in some cases the cheapest option is going to perform exactly the same as the pricier one (fermentation vessells specifically).

$500 is a bunch of cash, but when you start adding up the wish-list it can go quick:

$150-$250 for a basic kegging setup (single keg, 5 lb co2 tank, regulator assy, gas lines, beer lines, tap.)
$50-$100 for misc brewing equipment (airlocks, tubing, hydrometer, bottles, caps, cleaner/sanitizer, scale, thermometer)

Being that I don't know much about this....when you say all-grain vs extract I'm already confused. I assume all-grain is more advanced brewing, however, I don't want to buy equipment that I will outpace or use within a couple of years.

$500 is a pretty sturdy budget considering you already have the kegerator.

A grizzled old brewer tried to convince me once that i need at least 20 kegs. I have 11 and i figure it is enough.

Beer needs to condition for a while before tapping. most beers can condition at room temperature, some prefer 'cellaring' temperatures around 50f, some prefer the temperature of a domestic refrigerator. For a lot of beers, expect to let them sit around for at least a month after primary fermentation before they reach their ideal drinking age. Because beers, like wines, have an ideal drinking age. it's just much sooner with beer. freshest is not bestest, though most beers are best within a year of primary fermentation, a few - unusual brews like Orval - it's a few years from primary.

I have had a mug of 8 year old (under refrigeration) homebrew 7% ABV oatmeal stout and it was glorious.

You'll need at least two kegs. Five would be good. More than five wouldn't be bad. No need for more than 10, the way i see it, unless you host a lot of parties.

Most homebrewers use old soda kegs, referred to as cornies or cornelius kegs (because they were designed by cornelius). Coke and Pepsi have been converting from stainless steel kegs to the bag-in-box system since the 80's. Pepsi kegs are ball-lock. Coke kegs are pin-lock. It's best if you pick one and stick with it. Don't pay more than $50/ea. You may find them for as little as $20/ea. If you get them from anyone but a homebrewer, expect to need to rebuild them with new o-rings and keg lube.

I assumed you had the kegging stuff covered because you have a kegerator.. Really the brewing process is the same until you either keg or bottle. To keg you need these

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/5-Gallon-"Ball%2dLock"-Kegs-%2d-Used.html

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Ball-Lock-GAS-Disconnect-%2d-1{47}4"-MFL.html

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Ball-Lock-LIQUID-Disconnect-%2d-1{47}4"-Barbed.html

I got my keg set up with c02 tank, lines, corny, and picnic tap from craigslist. Then the fridge from craigslist for $25. At first I was set up for one tap...now I have two. Its not hard to get stuck with the stuff so to speak if you want to expand to multiple taps. Keep in mind, what you want now may not be what you want one year from now.
My advise is to build it slowly, get the stuff you "need" to keg, then scour craigslist, ebay, Northernbrewer.com sales etc for the stuff you "want". Pretty soon you will find yourself needing more and more.

Guy, guys, the OP is asking about kegging, not brewing equipment. He want's kegs, lines, co2 and faucets, not buckets and carboys. How to Brew's a great read, but doesn't really go into what the OP is asking here.
OP, try starting here. Midwest has all you need to get some kegs into (and beer out of) your kegerator. Depending on how your kegerator is set up already (does it have faucets? Lines? CO2?), you'll need to get all the auxiliary equipment to carb and serve the kegs: co2 tank, gas lines, regulator, serving lines, faucets and shanks. Cool tap handles are always a plus, too.
For my system, I started with a fridge that I got for free. I got this kegging setup and two of these faucets. So you're talking around ~$400 if you need everything but the fridge (cut about ~$100 off that for a single tap and regulator system)). You can undoubtedly find cheaper new, or even cheaper used equipment, but that's generally what you're looking at.

Guy, guys, the OP is asking about kegging, not brewing equipment. He want's kegs, lines, co2 and faucets, not buckets and carboys. How to Brew's a great read, but doesn't really go into what the OP is asking here..

From the OP's last post it sounds like maybe he has no equipment of any kind other than a kegerator.

"Being that I don't know much about this....when you say all-grain vs extract I'm already confused. I assume all-grain is more advanced brewing, however, I don't want to buy equipment that I will outpace or use within a couple of years."

bosco

From the OP's last post it sounds like maybe he has no equipment of any kind other than a kegerator.

"Being that I don't know much about this....when you say all-grain vs extract I'm already confused. I assume all-grain is more advanced brewing, however, I don't want to buy equipment that I will outpace or use within a couple of years."

bosco

Oh, I made the assumption he was talking kegs and serving/carbing equipment. I think it was the thread title and the talk of kegerators that must've thrown me off topic. ;)

Buy the deluxe brewing kit from northern brewer. It's basically just fermentation and bottling equipment. You will always need fermenters an a bucket, thermometer, hydrometer, etc. where you should make decisions is for the brew kettle. How much volume do you want to make? Do you want to do it in the kitchen or outside? I would say figure out where you want to start and let that lead your brew kettle decisions. I'm starting with 5 gallon batches. I've done two extract kits and now I'm getting ready to do an all grain brew in a bag for the first time. For this volume and style, My turkey fryer has been great for me.

Deluxe brew kit will be about $150-180 depending on the options. I added a submersion chiller for about $60. I would also get a couple of extra primary fermenters. I got those at my local home brew store for about $14 per bucket. An extract kit to brew your first batch will be about 25-35. And you will need some sort of brew kettle of you don't have something. I'd recommend full boils and get something between 7.5 - 10 gal.

All of that would get you close to $500. I'd recommend reading some more and maybe watching some YouTube videos before you order anything though.

I see Sam's club has thier turkey burners on sale for 59usd. Ten gallon I want to say.

Get a complete kit for brewing for about $100-200 depending on if you need a burner and pot. Make some beer and bottle it. If it turns out OK then spend another $200 or so and pick up a complete kegging system.

Start with a simple all extract kit and learn the basics first.

OMO

bosco

You won't regret jumping into kegging.

here's my equipment thread from when I first started.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/equipment-coming-so-questions-338766/
Everything in the list was from amazon or http://www.austinhomebrew.com/specials.php

I you already have the taps and Co2 bottle right?

Got my kegs here, they are cheaper uncleaned and reconditioned elsewhere but not much after shipping.
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=1

I have picked up a few things since as needed such as: a 2000g scale from amazon, and equipment for making starters (flask stirbar and stirplate, foam stopper).

Was looking at those...but dont really know what they mean by loose top. How about a bit more explanation on the problem and repair.
thx

I'd assume that it means that the lid of the keg is loose. The entire lid, not just the top where it's open and closed, which would simply need a new seal if it weren't fitting properly. PL Premium is Loctite adhesive, you could use something like that to re-adhere the lid to the keg before using.

This kit from Midwest Supplies has (almost) everything you will need to get started, including kegging equipment:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/master-brewers-kit-with-kegging-setup.html

You will still need a pot, I would recommend spending the rest of your budget on a 10G pot, as well as an immersion or counterflow chiller. You can also make yourself a chiller, there are plenty of tutorials and Youtube vids on how to make them. You can start with as small as a 5G pot, but you will just need to get a bigger one later - you've already said you don't want to have to replace your equipment down the line.

Uh . . . I think ya'll scared the OP off

Semi-true....Been away for a while after having a new addition to the family.

I have read everyone's posts and I appreciate all the feedback. I have very little for brewing, with the exception of CO2 and a kegerator. I have a Dead Man's Ale brew kit but no other equipment.

My Goal:

Purchase Quality Equipment to support a kegging setup

There may not be an 'kit' that I can use to get everything I need. I would like to start out with a few "easy" brews and eventually move up to growing my own ingredients and/or creating my own recipes.

Anyone in the Chicago area that can be recommended for equipment or training is welcomed as well.

Thanks again!

Back