50% of my online orders have been screwed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ordered from both Austin and Morebeer several times. The only error I had was one kit from Morebeer was missing a bag of extract. I didn't catch it until brewing day but fortunately I had some from an upcoming recipe to use. When I contacted them, I got a prompt response and they sent me an entire free kit of my choice. I don't think you can complain about that.

I have ordered from both Austin and Morebeer several times. The only error I had was one kit from Morebeer was missing a bag of extract. I didn't catch it until brewing day but fortunately I had some from an upcoming recipe to use. When I contacted them, I got a prompt repsonse and then sent me an entire free kit of my choice. I don't think you can complain about that.

Sure you can. You got lucky that your brewday turned out fine because of inventory you already had. But, fixing a problem is NOT the same as not having those problems to begin with.

I've just heard of a LOT more issues with one particular supplier than with all of the others combined. If you want to gamble with that, go right ahead... but I'm going to look at the totality of everyone's collective experience and use that to determine who to order from.

The reality of life is that no place is going to be perfect 100% of the time. As long as they don't make a habit of screwing things up and try to give good customer service and make it right, then I can forgive the occasional lapse. If other people are seeing repeat offenders, then that is important to know, but I'm reporting my experience.

It's also my repsonsibility to check my order when it arrives and not on brew day.

The reality of life is that no place is going to be perfect 100% of the time. As long as they don't make a habit of screwing things up and try to give good customer service and make it right, then I can forgive the occasional lapse. If other people are seeing repeat offenders, then that is important to know, but I'm reporting my experience.

It's also my repsonsibility to check my order when it arrives and not on brew day.

Well, you nailed it. From the countless "DAMN THIS RETAILER!" threads that I've read, I'm convinced that one particular place DOES have the habit of screwing stuff up a lot more than others.

I do about 85% of all my shopping online. Very few glitches and those were solved with a quick phone call or email. Mistakes do happen (think erasers on pencils) but most business's will bend over backward to resolve the problem. They would rather correct a problem than lose a customer.
Also most online stores have a comment area in check out. Make a note .. no substitutions or please call 555-555-5555 if back ordered or out of stock.

i placed an order on the 15th and its been a week and still hasnt shipped

So far I've only ordered from Midwest, and I've made 3 orders. On my first order, they sent me the wrong extract kit - Irish Red instead of Irish Stout. Being excited about my first batch I brewed it anyway and they offered me a 50% refund which I accepted.

Later on, before racking batch 2 to the glass secondary, I noticed a small crack. I sent them an email about it and they asked me if I shocked it by pouring in hot wort. I said no, and they immediately sent out a replacement. That was over a month after receiving the carboy. That really impressed me.

I wish people weren't so reluctant to name names. These stories are useless without them.

Also, my LHBS sucks. They are barely more than a liqueur store. The stock is just barely useful and I could stare at that wall for 10 minutes and not get any help.

I have ordered online just twice, both within the last few weeks, as my LHBS is very good. Not having time to make a trip there, I went the online route, ordering from two different vendors so as to compare and contrast.

Both orders shipped in a timely manner and arrived as expected with the correct ingredients. One, however, arrived with the kit ingredients for the beer I had planned but with instructions for a different brew. If I were just starting out, this would have made me nervous. But with Beersmith and my own knowledge (most of it gleaned here) I'll be fine. It's just mildly annoying enough that I might think twice about ordering from there again.

I wish people weren't so reluctant to name names. These stories are useless without them.

+1. This shouldn't be an exercise in random complaints. People are saying where they got good service, but if there is the feeling that some sites don't do the job, say so.

Austin Homebrew supply has always done really well for me. Also I am very happy about how Forrest really tries to get orders shipped out quickly even when you use the flat rate shipping.

Well, th lesson here is that we all need to remember to check our supplies and equipment before we brew!

Also, that if you can make it to the grocery, you can use FRESH orange peel in such an emergency.

I also agree that it counts if you mention the name of the place you have problems with. There's nothing wrong with helping others steer clear of potentially problematic suppliers. If they frequent the site, then they have a chance to state their side, and rectify any problems. If they are a well-liked and reputable place of business, then people here would back them up.

Also, that if you can make it to the grocery, you can use FRESH orange peel in such an emergency.

If you're gonna do this, it would probably be best to zest the orange... the pith has a lot of bitter, astringent flavors in it... unless that's the point. :)

I had a problem with Midwest with my first order from them. I ordered two different ingredient kits, and they shipped two of the same kit. I called them and they shipped me the right kit, along with a label to send back the old one. Drat! I was hoping I'd get a free hop scare. ;)

They also have packing sheets with the names of who "picked" the order and who "packed" it. They asked for both of those names when I called in to complain, so it sounds like they are keeping their staff accountable for mix-ups. Makes sense... because they ended up having to pay 2x shipping for the wrong kit.

I was disappointed at first, but they fixed it in a pretty speedy fashion, so it's all good. :mug:

I have ordered from several online stores (no LHBS within 50 miles of me). I have had a couple if discrepancies (different stores) but all were resolved quickly and to my satisfaction. That is what keeps folks coming back. Obviously if one of them has had problems it's good to hear they have made changes to eliminate their losses (both in $$ and customer 'churn'). Over-all I think we have a great selection of online venders to choose from. I am very glad we HAVE enough to be able to choose (rather than forced into being disatisfied with no recourse)!
I'm certain the venders that wish to remain in business will make alterations (or die trying ;) ) to their methods/prices/etc. and I imagine they look at these threads as another source of customer input.
:mug:

Back