• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

50 Lb Sack of Crystal 120L (Not Mine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geneb

Reaction score
I figure this is a long shot, but its worth a try.

I was talking with the brewer at the local micro and he mentioned that he is trying to sell a 50 pound sack of Crystal 120L. I have a use for about 2 pounds of it so I don't want to buy it. Does anyone in or near the Abingdon, VA area want to buy it or a portion of it?

If I recall correctly, he said he was selling it for $45 so we're looking at $0.90 per pound if we get enough people to divvy it out. (Though I don't think there are enough brewers in the area to even have a hope of that)

Any interest will be better gauged in this thread as I only get 5 PMs.

Wish I could help out, but I'm not in the area. I'd bet I could find use for 5 pounds, but the cost to ship would probably negate the savings for me.

That still sounds really high for 50#, especially from someone who should be ordering grain in bulk at bulk prices. Even from a group buy something like that shouldn't be more than 70 cents a pound tops- and you can get domestic malts at lower rates. IMHO.

Yes, seems high. On a group buy, Great Western has $0.63/lb for Crystal and Briess is $0.78/lb. Add some shipping costs though.

He may have said 40, but I'd rather offer it high and find out that I misheard (the brewery is loud) and it is lower than low and have to make it higher. I can verify again on Thursday if anyone is interested.

I also suspect he is including a portion of the shipping charges in the cost.

Latest posts

Back