5 Years to age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddymem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to brew/ferment up something special that won't get opened until 5 years.

What would be my best bet for that kind of age?
Barleywine?
Cider?
Mead?
Melomel?
Pyment?
Braggot?
Other?

My only conditions is that it is something good enough for that wait and be special enough to be celebrated with.

The closest experience I have with that kind of aging is my 1+ year old apfelwein, and I've got a 1+ year braggot that is still a little hot. I'm looking for someone with personal experience in aging that long. Recipes would be a bonus. :rockin:

TIA

As far as beer goes, anything with a large alcohol presence like a barleywine, belgian quad, imperial stout, etc. will do. I don't bother with fruit and honey, but those styles love to be aged.

I'm planning to do this in August. At one of the AHC big brew days I was talking to a guy who turned 45, and made a Barleywine and a mead to put up til his 50th.

I'm going to do the same thing for my 45th at the end of summer. I'm going to start a thread Aug 1st to help formulate the barleywine recipe, and am thinking of brewing it on that day.

I'm going under the knife for colon cancer. I know I beat it already and I plan on celebrating in 5 years when I am officially cancer free. I'll find out when I get splayed and gutted the second week in June. After the operation, once the Drs. says they got it all and are satisfied is when I start my 5 year countdown. In other words, I want a well proven recipe/idea for 5 years. I'd hate to wait that long to see a bunch of "meh" or worse yet, "yuck" faces. ;)

Oh and probably should state:

I do the brew in a bag style and have done 23# of grain in my pot.

I do extract full boils.

I haven't done wine.

I haven't done cider.

I haven't done mead.

I have done Apfelwein.

I have done Braggot.

I'm going under the knife for colon cancer. I know I beat it already and I plan on celebrating in 5 years when I am officially cancer free. I'll find out when I get splayed and gutted the second week in June. After the operation, once the Drs. says they got it all and are satisfied is when I start my 5 year countdown. In other words, I want a well proven recipe/idea for 5 years. I'd hate to wait that long to see a bunch of "meh" or worse yet, "yuck" faces. ;)

Good plan, and good luck! :mug:

You could consider the https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/way-way-way-over-top-sam-adams-utopia-clone-91463/.

I'm aiming for something akin to that.

*grins evilly*

I kegged a Barleywine in '05 and just chilled and tapped it about 2 months ago. It is one of the best brews I have had. It was a little over carbed. I did natural priming in the keg after pressurizing it. Great idea! Good luck!

Can you recommend any of the barleywine recipes on HBT for that aging time? I was leaning towards a mead to get a broader crowd to partake with me but I do luvs me a good barleywine.

An Old Ale would be a nice option as well. Good luck to you and Daddy.:mug:

I don't see mead as a crowd pleaser - after all it's so uncommon, not that many have had it, and I personally am not a fan...

I like the BW idea. Though I am probably more towards the RIS angle. That stuff just keeps going and going. Another idea not mentioned is a Lambic or something like that. They require lots of time, but may lack the mass appeal.

BTW good luck and best wishes for your good health in five years and way beyond that.

With this kind of commitment (and an awesome plan btw) I would do a number of different things. Don't put your eggs all in one basket, so to speak.

I did a simple mead long ago that perked along very slowly for 2 years, still bottled a bit early and about 5 years later had THE MOST AWESOME sparkling mead the either I nor my club member friends had ever tasted..... and I never could reproduce it, btw! ...and a mead is really easy!

If it was me, I'd do an Imperial Stout, a mead, a barley wine and maybe ever a red wine like a cabernet. Just be really hyper about the cleanliness and then stash it all away for safe keeping! :mug:

Foremost, good luck with your surgery.

As for what to brew, any you listed should be good. I'm really enjoying mead/melomel making so that's a definite possibility. It's VERY easy to produce a 14-16% abv mead which should last for a long long time. I've got a friend that makes amazing mead he's been doing it for close to 20 years and he doesn't even bother to drink his till they're 3 years old.

I'd suggest doing a 10+% RIS/Barleywine if you go the bier route. Brewpastor's got a couple of good RIS recipes or the 999 recipe could be doable!?

Schlante,
Phillip

Now there's a thought. A mead and a beer....A bit spendy, which is another thing I'll need to watch as whatever time I need off will be without pay since I'm new at work and don't have accumulated time.

I'm planning to do this in August. At one of the AHC big brew days I was talking to a guy who turned 45, and made a Barleywine and a mead to put up til his 50th.

I'm going to do the same thing for my 45th at the end of summer. I'm going to start a thread Aug 1st to help formulate the barleywine recipe, and am thinking of brewing it on that day.

All the best to the OP, and his 5 year plan.

I to just turned 45, and think that this is a great idea, looking out to the big 5.0.
Revvy, I will look forward to your BW recipe, as I have never done a brew this big, and will need all the guidance I can get.
Thanks!
:mug:

All the best to the OP, and his 5 year plan.

I to just turned 45, and think that this is a great idea, looking out to the big 5.0.
Revvy, I will look forward to your BW recipe, as I have never done a brew this big, and will need all the guidance I can get.
Thanks!

Yeah, me neither. It's going to be interesting to see what I come up with.:mug:

Yeah, me neither. It's going to be interesting to see what I come up with.:mug:

Sounds good. We are not too far apart, logistically. Whatever you come up with, I'll make some modification, and brew it up.
If by Gods' good grace we are both still around @ 50, I will make the trip north, so we can exchange a couple of bottles!

revvy when in august is your birthday? I will also be 45 this august 8th.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/dark-night-soul-russian-imperial-stout-21088/

I have this sitting in bottles at the moment. I brewed it up in Feb with extract. It's fantastic, and plan on doing another batch with all grain in the fall. I ended up over 12% and plan on drinking officially breaking it out during christmas. When bottling I suggest oxygen absorbing caps and maybe dip them in wax for extra insurance over the 5 year time period.

would you guys mind if another old ba###rd joined you in this endeavor?

Looks like it's going to be a bellova party then!!! :ban:

It's August 27th. So it looks like it will be August 27th, 2015.

happy_birthday_to_you.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/dark-night-soul-russian-imperial-stout-21088/

I have this sitting in bottles at the moment. I brewed it up in Feb with extract. It's fantastic, and plan on doing another batch with all grain in the fall. I ended up over 12% and plan on drinking officially breaking it out during christmas. When bottling I suggest oxygen absorbing caps and maybe dip them in wax for extra insurance over the 5 year time period.

Think this would go for the 5 years?
I'd have to figure out how to do that much grain BIAB. Maybe two half batches a day apart and mix?

Or maybe partial or extract....I'll read through the posts. Thanks!

Edit-Ah, I see it is for 10 gallons, that looks doable in 5 gallon size.

I used WLP001 for mine which stalled out due to temp and probably using extract. I finished it up with a 2L starter worth of WLP099 which also ensured bottle carbonation at that alcohol level. Ooh and I do think it will make it to five years. My next batch will be tweaked a bit with some flaked oats and possibly a touch of molasses. I'll keep a few bottles from each batch to let them age over time.

Wanted to see how you came through the surgery Daddymem?

Hope all is well and you're on the mend.

Schlante to your health,
Phillip

Thanks. I just got home last night. Surgery was a big success. Did it laparoscopically so recuperation should be a few weeks. 37 lymph nodes checked clear, although the cancer had punctured the colon wall. We'll see what the Drs say about further treatment. Can't wait until I can bottle the 15 gallons of beer I got ready downstairs!

Prost!

I have a mead I've been sitting on for... ehh I think 3.5 years, and it's still getting better, so I'd recommend that.

Awesome news Daddymem. Hopefully all effected areas were removed from the colon and there'll be no further surgical treatments needed.

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps ever decide what to make/brew for the 5 year beverage?

Not yet, I think I have two friends to go in on 4 shares of 160# of honey for a mead. Leaning towards a RIS. Still no clue on how to modify a recipe for long term aging except not to count on aroma hops.

Found this for a general guide on styles and age:

Beers that are ideal for aging include Belgian-style dubbels (which can be aged 1-3 years), tripels (1-4 years), Belgian strong dark ales (2-10 years), Imperial styles (roughly 1-6 years), barley wines and imperial stouts (2-20 years) and extremely strong, high-alcohol ales, such as Samuel Adams Utopias (up to 100 years). Many barrel-aged beers, spicy beers and winter ales can be aged too.

Something to note which hasn't been mentioned yet is that along with alcohol, roasted malts aid in aging beer. For instance a 9% abv Scotch Ale probably won't last as long as a 9% abv RIS as the Scotch ale will have 1-2% roasted malt while the RIS has 9-12% rosted malt. As for other 'tips', use oxygen caps on whatever you do. If you do a RIS make sure the grain bill is 10-12% roasted malt with a balance of super dark and lighter roasted malts as in choc vs black pattent. Also since the goal is to age it so long, there's no reason to back off on making it a truely huge bier which will only help it to be stable for a longer period of time. I'd shoot for 12-14% alcohol. At that percentage of alcohol you'll be able to use table/corn sugar for 7-14% of your fermentable with no impact on the quality of the brew. Mash low, say 145 for 40 mins, step up to 150 for 45 mins, step to 155 for 20 mins, and then do a mash-out of 169. Don't be affraid to let the grain sit for a while at the lower range of the saccrification rest in order to get full conversion and a fermentable wort. This style of low temp mash & using some simple sugars even in a RIS is what it'll take to get a 13% abv bier down to a drinkable non-cloying beverage.

I think a great thing would be not only to hold back this bier for 5 years, but to have 1 celebratory bottle on the anniversary each year leading up to year 5.

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps my RIS which happens to be my first attempt is 9% abv & is just over half a year old is progressing very nicely. It'll be 1 year just before the holidays and perfect for consumption. Hope you have a great experience with whatever you choose to do!

Sounds like fun, I haven't step mashed with my biab rig but I don't see why I couldn't.

A couple ideas so far:
Tuck's Chocolate Espresso Stout boosted up a bit:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/chocolate-espresso-stout-40754/

The Mad Fermentationist Courage RIS boosted and modified for no Brett:
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2007/11/courage-russian-imperial-stout.html

Or just listen to podcasts by Jamil et al on RIS and try to come up with my own take. Either of the above options would be heavily modified for my own likes. The problem I am having is not knowing what the aging does. I've come up with my own recipes and modified recipes on my own but those were regular ales and a tripel at the most but this just seems too "unknown" for me to grasp what to do.

The "DO" List so far:
Oxygenated caps
Wax the caps
Use CO2 to purge vessels and lines to minimize oxygenation issues
Skip aroma hops
Cool aging in my cellar
Cold crash before bottling
12-14% ABV
Sugar additions to reach ABV
10-12% roasted malt
Pitch onto a lighter ale yeast cake or huge starter

Thanks all.

Style: Russian Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain-BIAB

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.144 SG
Estimated Color: 50.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 129.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Bitterness Ratio: 0.901
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
20.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 80.81 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.75 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3.03 %
5.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 129.3 IBU
2.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %

S-05 Yeast cake

90 Minute mash full boil volume @ 154F
Low 60s F fermentation

One possible recipe. I'll need to dial it in for my equipment, but it is in the ball park.

Tasted for the first time at my 1 year No Evidence of Disease on Wednesday. It is now 7 months old. Very complex beer. I think this age well.

Coolest bottle ever!
225342_10150256983685941_325827650940_9260476_2105072_n.jpg

See you next year.

Question: I was going to bottle in bombers with oxygen absorbing caps but ended up going with swing tops. Would it be wise to wax those like I was going to do with the bombers? Any other cheaper alternatives?

TIA

Question: I was going to bottle in bombers with oxygen absorbing caps but ended up going with swing tops. Would it be wise to wax those like I was going to do with the bombers? Any other cheaper alternatives?

TIA

Wax is never a bad idea other than the hassle of getting it on and off. Shrink wrap would be a cheaper alternative, but don't cheap out on this.

Back