5 years ... 75+ brews... 1st dumper....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howabouttheiris

Reaction score
Boddingtons clone, PM, stovetop BIAB, WLP002, icebath chill, 1m primary only, good numbers for temp and gravity, sealed 2.5g spring water for top up....

Looking back the only thing that was at all abnormal was that I did not like the look of the yeast when I prepared it. It was a little more "tapioca pudding" in the vial than fine sediment. But that may be normal... (Just made the switch to liquid yeast in the last year)

When I siphoned from fermentor to keg, there was a strong yeast odor. There was a noticable beige skum on the sides of the bucket...

Carbonation is still a few days off perfect, but probably not going to make it.-

Off flavor is a yeasty - bandaidy.

Knew I would eventually have one, and 75 is a good run, but I feel humbled and pissed off. Luckily I have a pipeline and will not go dry...

Its bound to happen sooner or later. I just had my first dumper - #53 infected with a sour vinegar flavor that won't go away. I wonder how many batches the big boys dump? Can they be so perfect nothing ever goes wrong/

Geesh you guys are doing pretty good.....I have 30-40 brews under my belt and have had 3-4 dumpers. Always the same problem too..band-aid, plastic taste. I chalk it up to some sort of wild yeast.

I haven't had the pleasure of a dumper due to yeast issues yet. The only one I dumped was recipe that wasn't good enough so everybody drank off the other kegs instead of that one. Eventually, I needed the keg so I dumped it.

Band-aid aroma comes from bacterial infection according to Home brewing for Dummies.

I wasn't there, but the tapioca pudding texture of the yeast is probably not the problem. Mine tend to look that way after I shake the vial a bit.

I don't know but I don't think so. There are plenty of more experienced guys on this forum who can tell you though. Do a search on Phenol or Phenolic.

Its bound to happen sooner or later. I just had my first dumper - #53 infected with a sour vinegar flavor that won't go away. I wonder how many batches the big boys dump? Can they be so perfect nothing ever goes wrong/

I had to dump a batch a month back with the same taste. Figured it might go away but after a couple months in the bottle it didn't - think it even got worse. That was the last batch I made at a bop place so I put the blame there :)

Sounds like you're pretty sanitary for all but the sealed spring water. Those containers are not necessarily sanitary and the water in them, when used for brewing should still be boiled to ensure it's not going to contaminate the batch. Obviously it's a rare occurrence, but isn't that the case here?

75 batches in 5 years. Nice pace! :D

75 batches in 5 years. Nice pace! :D

And probably a conservative estimate. :mug:

Ya.... I like to drink, but I love to brew. Being an engineer (like 40% of us, or whatever it was that the poll found), I like the process more than the product.

For a 2 years, due to the fact that I had the equipment and the cool basement, I was housing the brewing for 3 families. One family had a weekly home poker game and the other's garage was the nightly hang out for 5-10 folks. They would bring over the kids to play with my rugrats and we would brew 1-2 times per week. There were always 2-3 buckets and 3-4 carboys at various stages of production.

When I went to Harpoon factory they were in the process of dumping a batch. Crazy.

Let it go a couple more months before you decide to dump...unless you already dumped.

I made an Oatmeal Stout last fall that was sour and gross after I kegged it. I bottled a few to send in to competition (haha....you should see THOSE score sheets) and one or two remained in the back of my fridge. My wife cracked one open the other day and it tasted AWESOME.

So...I hope you didnt dump yet.

And probably a conservative estimate. :mug:

Ya.... I like to drink, but I love to brew. Being an engineer (like 40% of us, or whatever it was that the poll found), I like the process more than the product.

For a 2 years, due to the fact that I had the equipment and the cool basement, I was housing the brewing for 3 families. One family had a weekly home poker game and the other's garage was the nightly hang out for 5-10 folks. They would bring over the kids to play with my rugrats and we would brew 1-2 times per week. There were always 2-3 buckets and 3-4 carboys at various stages of production.

Dang! I need to move to Austin to be in your neighborhood!

The english yeast is super flocculent so it will look like tapioca. That is more than normal.

Did you use Star San or Iodophor?

PM me.. I think I can hook you up.

Forrest

DSC_0001_small.jpg

Friends, Family, Brewbuddies,

We are gathered here today to pay our last respects to Mr. Boddington Pubale. He lived a short, but good life. Many will have memories of the night we got together and started his life. As we always do when brewing a clone, everyone enjoyed a 6er of his commercial version. But that was then.... Now I will always remember the way he made my kitchen smell like the emergency room at Seton NW.

Goodbye. (sniffle)

my 3rd batch (a hefewiezin) seemed bad to me. so i gave it to both my sisters (who dont mind crap beer) and they thought it was good. but it taste like garbage to me.

Latest posts

Back