5 to 2.5 Gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo68710

Reaction score
Can you take a 5 gallon batch recipe and just cut everything in half to make it 2.5 gallon?

example 5 gallon ruination
6.6 lbs Northwestern gold (light) malt extract syrup
2 lbs Northwestern gold (light) dry malt extract
1 lb 2-row Pale
1 lb Crystal Malt 15L

28 AAU Magnum 60 min
15.7 AAU Centennial 0 min
21 AAU Centennial dry hop

2.5 gallon
3.3 lbs Northwestern gold (light) malt extract syrup
1 lbs Northwestern gold (light) dry malt extract
0.5 lb 2-row Pale
0.5 lb Crystal Malt 15L

14 AAU Magnum 60 min
7.85 AAU Centennial 0 min
10.5 AAU Centennial dry hop

are there issues fermenting 2.5 gal in a 5 gal carboy (ie too much headspace)?

No, but there are issues fermenting 5 gal in a 5 gal carboy (too little headspace). ;)

It'll be fine. I wouldn't do a several-month-long secondary in a double-size container, but during active fermentation and for a couple weeks after that it'll be fine.

One thing to consider is if you bottle condition. You are gonna want to use less priming sugar (I'm sure you already knew that tho)

The only thing you don't want to cut in half is the yeast. You could add just 1/2 the yeast, but once the yeast is opened, it won't last. Much better to add the whole packet, than throw half the yeast away.

-a.

The only thing you don't want to cut in half is the yeast. You could add just 1/2 the yeast, but once the yeast is opened, it won't last. Much better to add the whole packet, than throw half the yeast away.

-a.

Won't that be the same as double pitching?:)

-a.

So I thought with a recent 3 gallon batch. I added an entire package of Nottingham and it seemed to turn out......well, yeasty. Won't say for certain that it had an adverse effect but it left me wondering.

How long did you leave the beer in primary before you tasted it?

2-3 weeks. It was just a little something I noticed and figured it may be from over pitching. It was 3 gallons of 1.038 wort so 11 grams was a bit excessive. Still a good yeast.

Bumping a really old thread, sorry but for the record it's unclear whether scaling down a recipe (halfing a 5 gal batch to 2.5 gal in this case) includes halfing the yeast.

So for us newbies, half everything including the priming sugar but use the full 5 gal worth of yeast? Seems fishy to me but what do I know :)

Could someone chime in for certain?

And, for the remaining 2.5 gal worth of ingredients you have sitting around, can those hang on for another month or so? I can't imagine you'd just want to toss half a container of malt extract or packets of hops. I guess that's the benefit of not using extracts = buying half quantities.

Thanks in advance.

The proper amount of yeast has little to do with batch size, and everything to do with the gravity of the beer (regardless of batch size) it's always a good idea to consult the Mr Malty Pitch Rate Calculator. For whatever size batch you are using.

For example it is quite possible that a 2.5 gallon Barleywine with an OG of 1.150 would need More than two packs of yeast or a large liquid starter equal in size to a starter for a 5 gallon batch of low grav beer.

You can't really generalize on the correct amount of yeast to use.

As to leftover ingredients. DME can be stored in ziplock bag in a cool dry place, LME can be frozen. The remaining yeast can be stored in the fridge (if it's dry fold the pack over and tape it shut) And hops can be stored int he freezer as well.

Bumping a really old thread, sorry but for the record it's unclear whether scaling down a recipe (halfing a 5 gal batch to 2.5 gal in this case) includes halfing the yeast.

So for us newbies, half everything including the priming sugar but use the full 5 gal worth of yeast? Seems fishy to me but what do I know :)

Could someone chime in for certain?

And, for the remaining 2.5 gal worth of ingredients you have sitting around, can those hang on for another month or so? I can't imagine you'd just want to toss half a container of malt extract or packets of hops. I guess that's the benefit of not using extracts = buying half quantities.

Thanks in advance.

Generally, for liquid yeast you would still use the entire package. Consult mrmalty.com 's yeast pitching calculator to be sure, as it depends on the OG of the beer and the age of the yeast. Unless the beer has a very low OG (under 1.040), the entire package is probably about the right amount of yeast for a 2.5 gallon batch.

You can certainly save 1/2 batches of ingredients (except for yeast which should be used very soon after opening). To save LME, pour a wee bit of vodka on top to cover the extract and then stick it in the fridge. Grains can be kept cool and dry, and dry extract can be ziploc-bagged and kept cool and dry. Hops store for years in the freezer, especially if you have a food-saver and can vacuum seal it.

Revvy said:
The proper amount of yeast has little to do with batch size, and everything to do with the gravity of the beer (regardless of batch size) it's always a good idea to consult the Mr Malty Pitch Rate Calculator. For whatever size batch you are using.

For example it is quite possible that a 2.5 gallon Barleywine with an OG of 1.150 would need More than two packs of yeast or a large liquid starter equal in size to a starter for a 5 gallon batch of low grav beer.

You can't really generalize on the correct amount of yeast to use.

As to leftover ingredients. DME can be stored in ziplock bag in a cool dry place, LME can be frozen. The remaining yeast can be stored in the fridge (if it's dry fold the pack over and tape it shut) And hops can be stored int he freezer as well.

Cheers Revvy!

Also thanks mb82 and Yooper.

FYI wanted to point out that I have a 2.5 gallon in a 5 gallon carboy- and I am thinking trouble on the horizon when it comes to a grav test. I guess I will have to just wing it- unless I buy an extender for the thief..

Latest posts

Back