5 taps. 5 Beers. Forever.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk4

Reaction score
Maybe this thread idea has been done already, but I haven't come across it. So here it goes.

Hypothetical situation: You are a bar owner with 5 taps and due to contractual obligations you have to keep the 5 beers you have on tap FOREVER....
The good news? You can pick any 5 beers in the world. Commercial, homebrewed, kit, whatever!

What beers do you select, and why? :D

Have fun!

Pliny The Elder
Old Rasputin
Ellie's Brown Ale
Spaten's Oktoberfest
Biermunchers' Centennial Blonde

Of course, ask me again tomorrow, and it might be totally different...

:)

Pliney the Elder
The Poet
Curmudgeon
Landlord
And either Füchschen or Uerige Altbier.

But yeah that'll probably change in a day or two.

Zoiglbier from Windischeschenbach, Bavaria, Germany;
Festbier from Heberbraeu, Kirchenthumbach, Germany
Augustiner Export "Edelstoff", Munich, Germany
SNPA
Pabst Blue Ribbon.

That's right! I said PBR.

Cantillon Classic Gueuze
Founders Barrel Aged Dirty Bastard
Allagash Interlude
Allagash Odyssey
Hill Farmstead Abner

Haven't had any Russian River yet but they are high on my bucket list.

Bud light
Coors Light
Sam Adams lager
Blue Moon
SNPA

Why? Because I'm the owner and I want to make some cash.

Now if those were 5 taps in my personal home bar, where making money wasn't my incentive, those would change.

You thought about this differently (and IMHO, better) than the rest of us.

:mug:

Boulevard Bourbon barrel quad
Grapefruit sculpin
KBS
Augustiner lagerbier hell
Founders blushing monk

So I'd go broke, at least I'd do it having delicious beer.

Zoiglbier from Windischeschenbach, Bavaria, Germany;
Festbier from Heberbraeu, Kirchenthumbach, Germany
Augustiner Export "Edelstoff", Munich, Germany
SNPA
Pabst Blue Ribbon.

That's right! I said PBR.

Play a game where you give a customer two tastings: an Edelstoff and a PBR. Those who cannot distinguish which is which get their picture taken, and placed upon the wall of shame.

Personally, I'd hit have:
1) Bell's Two Hearted ale -> Fav pale ale
2) Carlsberg -> First case of beer I bought when I was legal, still my all time favorite beer
3) Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout
4) Woodeforde Brewery's Wherry (on beer engine)
5) St. Peter's English Ale (on beer engine)

Some of my favorite beers are not kegged, only available in bottles. ( Belgian beers).

Yeah, I think there is a lot of debate about some beers in bottles vs. Draught. Some Belgians have to be in bottles, without a doubt.

But no beers you'd kill to have on your own taps?

I'm talking about experience for the corner bar not a microbrew bar so with that in mind by Knowing a couple of bar owners I would have to put business before bragging rights, only about 40% or less standard stool sitters pick micro brew beer, the rest pick a lager of some kind. sad but true so its easy I would split it in half 2 lagers, a mild brown, a mild pale ale or Kolsh and an ipa

Hill Farmstead Abner
Hill Farmstead Edward
Hill Farmstead Everett
Hill Farmstead Dorothy
Hill Farmstead Double Citra

Did I mention Hill Farmstead? :p

Bud light
Coors Light
Sam Adams lager
Blue Moon
SNPA

Why? Because I'm the owner and I want to make some cash.

Now if those were 5 taps in my personal home bar, where making money wasn't my incentive, those would change.

I dont always drink $h1++y beer, but when I do I drink the champagne of beers. screw that noise

assuming you don't need to appeal to the masses and money/availability is no issue

1. Celebration ale (my all time favorite commercial beer)
2. Old Rasputin (on nitro!)
3. Nugget Nectar
4. Wookey Jack
5. SummerFest Czech Pils

Founders Breakfast Stout
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
Three Floyds Zombie Dust
Avery The Reverend
Bell's Two Hearted

Todd the Axeman - Surly
Furious - Surly
Pliney the Elder - Russian River
Day Tripper Pale Ale - Indeed Brewery
Stone RIS - Stone

Heavy on the hops, but that seems to be where the market is at right now(and probably for a long time!)

Well with the kind of mood I've been in today....

Geaghan Bros Dads Oatmeal Stout
Nepenthe Ales Bourbon Barrel Aged Shire Stout
Atlantic Brewing Coal Porter
Stone Imperial Russian Stout

And aw heck...I'll throw something light in for the women and children

Moat Mountain Boneshaker Brown :rockin:

Pliney the Younger (lines around the block at my bar!)

Pliney the Elder

Alpine Nelson

El Segundo Mayberry IPA

Sculpin (for easy drinkin)

Yeah it's gonna be a hop themed bar.....

Oscar Blues Old Chubb on nitro
Victory's DirtWolf
Saranac Disruption (brown ale on nitro)
Oscar Blues Ten-Fiddy
Tröeggs Hop Knife APA

Left Hand nitro milk stout x 5 taps.

Ok, maybe substitute one for a Fin du Monde
or a Karbach field works Brett IPA
or a solid 512 Pecan Porter
decisions, decisions......

Looks like I'm going to have to try one of those Pliny the Elder that you are all drooling over. Never seen it. What makes it so good in your opinions?

It's a big, juicy IIPA that isn't bitter all to hell. Hops galore. A hop-heads' wet dream.

:)

Gaffel Kolsch
Kostritzer
Golden Ochsen Weiss
Zirndorfer Landbier
Affligem Blond

Well trying to put together a list of beers that I could market to Koreans without making me want to kill myself. A lot of the brewpubs here are either: continental lagers (these most opened for the World Cup in 2002 and have died since), watered down American-style craft beer (opened a bit later and mostly died) and American-style craft beer that's actually pretty good (have mostly opened within the last year or two so we'll see). Interestingly the clientele is really different than in the states, often groups of yuppy women or people on dates. Surprisingly few groups of men.

So, let's try:
-Festbier: gotta have SOMETHING for the lager drinkers. Probably brew it with kolsch yeast b/c lazy.
-Citron wheat: some citron zest, some honey malt, low IBUs, big handfuls whatever blend of hops I can put together that tastes most like citron for a whirlpool just cool enough to avoid hop acid isomerization.
-Amber pseudo-mild: use US-05, Vienna malt and have a lot of the flavor come from caraaroma. Mash low enough to keep it from getting cloying. Some English late hop additions.
-Malty porter: good bit of light munich malt, see if I can live with myself after using midnight wheat. Probably much more chocolate malt than either roast barley or black patent malt.
-Fruity pale ale: use some of the newer more fruity hops (mosaic, galaxy, etc. and experiment on what works best together) aim for 30 IBUs but lots of whirlpool and dry hops and a nice rich bronze color. Stay strong and don't add any actual fruit.

Old Milwaukee
Schlitz
Pabst
Hams
Great falls select

It would be geezer gulch up in here.

J/k but that would be funny

Moose drool
Guinness
Bent nail IPA
Sam Adams Boston lager
Coors original (just because I like it)

Surprised more people aren't putting up their own brew. Guess it makes sense though. I'm at the point where I'm pretty proud of my beer, but still not better than my all time favs.

Back