5 star defoamer with starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdiddy84

Reaction score
I just picked up some 5 star defoamer because my LHBS doesn't carry the fermcap s and I was wondering how much to use for a starter?

My last starter was a 2L starter in a 2L flask and when I went to check on it in the morning before work I had a mess on my hands.

The directions say 1 drop for 5 gallons so what would you use for a starter?
anyone else use the 5 star defoamer for starters?

I would use a drop. I use it in my boil mainly since my starter vessels are 5L flasks and I rarely have problems there. In the boil I use it at a rate of 1 drop per 2 gallons and it works wonders. The dosage recommendation says not to exceed 200ppm silicone, by my calculation if we approximate a drop as 50uL that would be 40 drops per liter, which is insane.

I have both 5-star defoamer, and fermcap-s and have done side by side comparisons in both the boil, and fermentation, and they perform exactly the same from what I've seen. Also the defoamer is cheaper so that is what I buy exclusively now.

One drop for 5 gallons is called for. One drop in 2 liters??? That is about 9 times too much. I would not use it. In my 6 years of making starters (using a stirplate) and no defoamers I have had 3-4 that krausen has come out of the flask.

I used Fermcap-s for a while, I decided I did not want silicone in my beer. I know it settles and you won't get much if any, but I want to be sure I get NONE.

Starters have, as stated, not been much of a problem.
Boils, I have learned to watch the foam until it breaks.
Fermentations, a blow off tube.

Plus it is another ingredient that I don't have to buy or remember to add.

Latest posts

Back