5 liter Growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d-usa

Reaction score
So a few years ago my mother-in-law picked this up somewhere because she figured that a 5 liter beer bottle would be something that I'd enjoy. It's been a pretty piece of decoration since then, but now that I'm brewing I'm wondering if it is something that I could actually use. Has anybody used one of these guys for fermenting, secondary, or long-term conditioning?

I've been doing 1 gallon batches with my brewing and I have a 2 gallon fermenting bucket and a 1 gallon glass carboy for secondary. I started out with the 1 gallon carboy for my primary fermentation, but I quickly learned that you can't really fill it to the 1 gallon mark without having krausen everywhere. So I've been doing slightly over a gallon in the bucket and then transferring a full gallon into the carboy for my secondary (which also helps to make sure I got a real "gallon" when it comes time to prime.

With this guy being 1.32 gallons I could do a full gallon batch in there as well, or use it as another secondary container.

Another thing that I was thinking about is possibly using it for mead. It's glass and it's dark, so what do you guys think about using it for a nice long secondary for that?

Any other thoughts or suggestions? I figured that I would probably replace the cap and definitively get a new seal before trying anything, but I wondered if anybody else has done anything with a big bottle like this. :mug:

photo (1).jpg

Already doing 1 gallon batches? Find a stopper that will fit in the neck and throw an air lock on it, that thing should be about perfect to ferment in.

Latest posts

Back