5% ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
Been making my IPAs to 7-8% ABV but they were always coming out not so good. Then I had a brewpub IPA that was like 5.5% and it was awesome! So I decided to give it a go, and now I happily drink my 5.25%'er

not every beer needs to be killer strong. i'm used to 5.5-6% beers, but friday i'm going to brew an ordinary bitter at 3.6%. it's all good, and that's why we brew; to get our beers

I think I actually burnt out on strong beers when I was on my RIP and IIPA kick... now I will take a 4-5% beer over anything stronger.

So I see no problem with a 5% IPA. You gotta recipe you are willing to share?

I recently brewed a 3.9% IPA that I'm pretty happy with. The body is a little thinner than I'd like, but I'm thinking about adding some maltodextrine to the keg to thicken it up a little.

It's nice to have a number of very flavorful beers in a sitting without getting smashed.

My BuckIPA V1 came in at 5.9%. Ok for me,tasted great,& I could drink a few of them to boot. Fine with me too.

I brewed a very hoppy Pale Ale today that falls within the parameters of IPA for color and IBU... but alcy should be about 4.8-5... we shall see what happens!

It's a Party in the IPA

Stats:
OG 1.050
FG 1.010
Color 6.1
IBU 65.1
ABV 5.2%

5.75 gallons at 80% efficiency

Grains:
8.75# Pale Ale Malt
1.0# Caramalt 7L
0.5# C40
0.25# Acid Malt (your number may be different based on water chemistry, could replace with Pale Ale malt if you're not into water chemistry)

Mash:
Mash at 150F for 45 minutes
Optional mash chemistry:
1.00 g (0.25 tsp) Gypsum in mash (to boost hoppiness)
0.85 g (0.25 tsp) CaCl in mash (to balance gypsum)

Boil:
45 mins: 0.75 oz Columbus 14%
20 mins: 1.00 oz Columbus 14%
5 mins: 1.00 oz Columbus 14%

Ferment:
US-05 fermented at 66F

Dry hop: 2.00 oz Columbus 14%

Add dry hops as fermentation slows (around 4 days for me)
One week after brew day, cold crash to 32F
Two weeks after brew day, keg, carbonate, and serve

Notes:
I brewed it on 10/15/2011. I kegged it on 10/29/11. It still tasted a bit raw right when it was tapped. It's settled down pretty well by now, but it's still vibrant.

I might try to boost it up to around 5.5% for next time. I am considering upping the IBU to 75. I might also dial back the dry hops to 1.50 oz. It's also still pretty cloudy so I might want to add gelatin a few days after cold crashing next time.

Back