5 gallons of old cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioBiker

Reaction score
I found 5 gallons of cider when moving to new home. Bought about 2.5 years ago from local orchard was not supposed to be heat pasteurized but some other process. some local guys pretty much scared me off using it for fear of wasting my time, but now its turned up again. there is no floating mat like it turned to vinegar but there is settling in the bottom of about half inch n each jug.it has been in cool dark storage the whole time. I have only made a few batches of any kind of cider with mixed results. Any ideas if this may be good for anything? Thank Y'all!

The settling shouldn't be of concern. Has it been sealed since you bought it?
Any idea what kind of process they used? Was it a chemical process, like Campden? What has it been stored in? Have you opened it up? How does it smell?

Smells sweet like cider, very mild. I cracked the seal a few months after i got them to let pressure off and haven't opened til today's sniff test. Don't know the process but i see they added 1/10 of 1% potassium sorbate. Stored in original plastic milk jug type containers

Smells sweet like cider, very mild. I cracked the seal a few months after i got them to let pressure off and haven't opened til today's sniff test. Don't know the process but i see they added 1/10 of 1% potassium sorbate. Stored in original plastic milk jug type containers
Drink it. Let us know. There's *probably* nothing in there that can kill you.

Trying does not mean DRINKING it.
Even then, if fermented, most likely it will be safe to drink.
If unpalatable then you wont feel bad throwing it.

RIP
(They always were an adventurous couple)

Is the bike ok? :)

Latest posts

Back