5 gallon water bottle for conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason879

Reaction score
Just for novelty purposes, would a 5 gallon water bottle be ok to convert into a conical fermentor? Would the ridges on the side of the bottle be too big of a problem? Is the plastic on those bottles sturdy enough for the fermentation process? What are y'all's thoughts?

It's been said that the plastic carboys that you get for a water cooler are no good for fermentation...However, you could try using a "Better Bottle" (plastic carboy specifically for brewing) and inverting it and adding the fittings as needed.

Sounds like a mess in the making. If the stopper came out there goes all your beer........:(

In order to get yeast and trub to easly slide out the cone needs to be at an angle of 60 degrees or better, although those nice plastic induction tanks are about 57 degrees and they seem to work well. A plastic water bottle or better bottle would be nowhere near that. You'd just have a ton of junk sitting on the shoulders and clouding up your beer as you racked, to say nothing of the oxygen permeability problem.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I did find the induction tanks. Another question, if I don't plan on harvesting yeast, can I rack out of the dump valve (granted I have the proper fittings)?

If you check lots of water bottles are made by better bottle corp. I have been using water bottles for years with no problems I don't use them for long storage over 3 months.

Back