5 Gallon Sankey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
Well I am the semi-proud owner of a 5gal sankey keg and about 4 gallons of year old sam adams summer ale stored at room temp. I know what to do with the later.....dump it. But what can I do with the keg? BTW a co-worker gave it to me after a friend of his failed to have it picked up by whoever's it was after a year. It's to small for a brewpot or primary fermenter, I just started kegging but don't want to use it as a keg(I have corny's for that), maybe as a secondary or for sub-5gal batches. I guess if I removed the 'guts' I could fit a stopper with an airlock in the hole. Any other ideas?

landhoney said:
It's to small for a brewpot or primary fermenter, I just started kegging but don't want to use it as a keg(I have corny's for that), maybe as a secondary or for sub-5gal batches. I guess if I removed the 'guts' I could fit a stopper with an airlock in the hole. Any other ideas?
Sounds like a job for ebay.

The only thing about selling it is that the guy could have done that, my co-worker told him I could use it, so he gave it to me - he's getting a 6'er of homebrew from me but didn't ask for anything in return. The other thing is, I looked on ebay and didn't see any 5 gallon sankey(only 15gals and corny's), so I'm not sure what they're worth?

If you do pre-chilling using an IC, you could cut the top off and use this to hold the ice water and a submersible pump? Otherwise, the price of stainless is going up and you could sell it for scrap to buy something else.

Or... you could use it to make a killer starter that would ferment out a 10 gallon batch in 45 minutes??????

that would make a wicked container for an external heat exchanger system for your brew rig

It is also called a sixth (6th) Barrel Keg. just FWIW,

Kegs-new-431x161.jpg

I'll save you the "send it to me" lines,
Cheers

landhoney said:
What would you do with it wop31?

I think that it would be cool to try and use it, But it may be a PIA to fill, you would have to either counter pressure it or take the fitting out and fill it that way.

You may want to go to a local Micro and see if they would fill it:D For a small fee i am sure. I talked to the head brewer at Upland Brewery last weekend about them, because they just started using them, but he said that they are only selling them to reasturants because the demand is small right now. But I am sure if I had one to trade him or that he could fill for me he would. You may want to check that out, local guys seem really willing to work with you on things like that.

Cheers

Back