5 Gallon Home Depot Cooler Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombsy

Reaction score
Hi, after doing a bunch of research on the cooler conversion for doing AG, I decided to grab a couple 5 gallon coolers from home depot since I had a gift card and they don't carry the 10 gallon ones here (Canada).

From what I have read, most people suggest a 1/2" fitting setup. However, when I disassembled the spigot, the hole was 1" in diameter and they used 3/4" fittings.

Am I still on the right track with the 1/2" fittings or do I need to change my setup. I was just going to buy a couple of these.

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Stainless_Steel_Weldless_Cooler_Kit_Spigot_2_Piece_p/2-pc-ss-weldless-cooler-kit.htm

Thanks

Don't sweat it. The 1/2" setup definitely will work. I use a 5 gal Home Depot cooler along with the same sort of 1/2" weldless kit that I see from your link.

Just a heads up, because I had the same exact set up (fellow Canadian) that the fittings might be a bit loose, I had to add some extra washers and gasket to get a good seal. The seal is tight and doesn't leak but the valve kind of wiggles a bit. Its worth it for me because the cooler was cheaper than one on amazon or elsewhere...but just so you're aware because I almost threw the works out but it works fine.

Also if you find a better way...let me know haha

Back