5 Gallon Brew in a Bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytemyfoot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering moving from extract into all grain. I don't have the space or money to go with a standard 2-3 AG setup. I've been doing research on the brew in a bag method, but all the tutorials I've read seem to be for 10 gallon batches. I'm trying to figure out what size pot I'd need in order to do 5 gallon BIAB brewing (I have a 35 quart pot). Does anyone have any advice or experience on this?

I'm trying to figure out what size pot I'd need in order to do 5 gallon BIAB brewing (I have a 35 quart pot). Does anyone have any advice or experience on this?

For nor sparge BIAB, the general rule of thumb is 2 times the batch size. So for 5 gallon batches, you need a 10 gallon pot. I'd go slightly larger, as I used to aim for 5.5 gallons at end of boil (I do larger batches now) and I always boil for 90 minutes, so I would start with 7 gallons of liquid at start of boil.

Something like a 44 quart stick pot or so would be fine. If you can swing it, there's really no harm in just getting around a 15 gallon pot.

I do biab with normal mash volumes and a sparge. I use a 5 gal mash tun and a 7.5 gal pot so I think your pot is definitely big enough.

for BIAB i use a 7.5 gallon pot to boil and i mash in a 5 gallon pot. i use a 4 gallon pot to heat sparge water and use a collander. did my first ag a few weeks ago and got 82% effeciency.

Good luck, its a lot of fun, and you can get a lot done with the extra time of mashing and boil times.

Latest posts

Back