5 gal yeast starter for 2 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leezer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning to do a yeast starter for the first time for my next batch, which is also my first all grain biab. I have a wyeast smack pack which is made for a 5 gallon batch and I have a few questions.

I'm assuming that I still need to make a starter with the entire package, then use just a portion of the starter for my 2 gal batch, and save the rest somehow? Or is there another way to go about it?

How exact do I need to be when pitching only part of the yeast? Can I eyeball it or should I measure it out?

Thanks.

you could just pitch the smack pack straight into a 2gal batch, even at a high OG. I wouldnt worry about issues with overpitching. Youll be fine

I think that smack pack will provide plenty of yeast cells for your 2 gallons without a starter

i see now. you could make up a starter and pitch half ans save the other half. or you could pitch a portion of the smack pack and use the rest for a starter. either way would work just fine

Latest posts

Back