5 gal brew pot and car boy issues???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefrand15

Reaction score
I am about to make the move to AG brewing and just finished building my Mash ton. I have a 5 gal car boy and only have a 5 gal brew pot. Can I brew almost a full batch in the brew pot and then brew the remaining volume after I have transferred the first amount into the carboy before pitching? I would like to get a few batches done before I graduate to buying a new brew pot.

How about cutting recipes in half and brewing 2.5gallon batches. That's what I'm going to start doing. I went to Recipes in the line below the HBT banner and went pale ales. I'm going to Do Yooper's Pale Ale as my first batch. Getting pretty close to getting all my stuff together.

A 5g carboy won't leave much headspace for fermentation. You might get a ton of blowoff. Guess you could also convert to a 3g batch. Four might be too much for your equipment.

I agree with bill. You aren't going to be able to brew your whole volume for a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon pot, nor ferment in a 5 gallon carboy. Cut it to 2.5 or 3 and give it a go.

Your 5-gallon pot sounds like the perfect thing for 3.5 gallon batches in your 5-gallon carboys. I was doing something similar for a while as I slowly collected equipment. The most I've fermented in my 5-gallon carboys is 4 gallons, but you have to be prepared with a blowoff tube.

You could also boil in two pots simultaneously and combine them at the end.

...or do a partial boil and top off to get larger volumes.

Back