5 day old starter wort. Use or toss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
5 days ago I made 15 gallons of a Belgian IPA and ran off enough extra wort to make 3 gallons of starter. I placed the wort into 1 gallon sanitized gallon size glass growlers with sanitized plastic wrap placed over the top and then secured with a sanitized cap. These have been stored in the refrigerator since then. If I wanted to use this wort to build up my yeast bank do I need to reboil it or just use it as it is? Thanks.

If you boiled it before putting it in the fridge, it'd be fine to use but I'd boil it again briefly anyway as sugary wort would mean a (small) chance of something growing in it.

I always reboil but it is just out of common sense and precaution. I have no idea if there is a sound scientific reason to do it, but I figure it can't hurt and only takes a few minutes of my time.

I boiled the starter wort for 60 minutes prior to chilling with my wort chiller. If I had to re-boil it would 15 min be enough time to take care of any little nasty critters in it?

I boiled the starter wort for 60 minutes prior to chilling with my wort chiller. If I had to re-boil it would 15 min be enough time to take care of any little nasty critters in it?

Yes. And not a huge vigorous boil, just enough to simmer is sufficient if the wort has been sealed during storage.

Latest posts

Back