5.5 gal batch in 10 gallon igloo cooler heat loss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
Im going to get either a 5 gallon or 10 gallon round igloo cooler to do mostly 5.5 gal batches. I dont see me moving into 10 gal for several years when I get out of small apartments. So if I use the 10 gallon now will i have to worry about heat loss or should I just get a 5 gallon?

You won't have to worry about to much heat loss with the 10 gal.

Go with the 10 gal cooler.

I agree with the above poster. I have only used my 10 gallon cooler for 5 gallon batches and have yet to lose more than a degree.

If you decide to do a big beer, you could need all 10 gallons...

I wrap my 10 gallon round cooler MLT with a blanket during the mash. I'm shopping for an electric blanket to use during those cold winter days. Last winter I had to add a small amount of boiling water to keep the mash at temp half way through....but only during the winter.

My ten gallon rubbermaid works great on 5.5 gallon batches. Holds temps for the whole hour and may lose 1 degree in that time. I use Beer Smith to calculate strike and infusions and my temps are usually spot on. I have a 5 gallon Rubbermaid and have never used it, don't see the need. Its also easier to stir in sparge water in a 10 gallon if you batch sparge.

I would suggest going with the 10 gallon cooler because if you try and make a "big beer" you are going to need the extra space for all those grains because a 5 gallon cooler can hold around 12lbs of grain.

Don't bother with a 5 gallon MLT for 5 gallon batches! About the "biggest" beer you could easily do is 1.055 with that size cooler. If you get a 5 gallon, you'll be wishing you had a 10 gallon. I went back and forth before I invested in my 10 gallon cooler, because I had NO intentions of ever doing 10 gallon batches. I still rarely do 10 gallon batches, but I do have the option for "smaller" beers.

You won't lose any more heat than you would in a 5 gallon cooler, if you preheat the mash tun.

Unless someone gave you a 5 gallon cooler, it is just a waist of time and money

I definitely support going with a 10 gal. cooler minimum for a 5 gallon batch, unless you know you're only going to be making beers with a moderate amount of malt, say 8-10 pounds of fermentables total.
The last batch I did was the Founder's Breakfast Stout clone listed in the Recipes section, and it maxed out my 10 gal. Rubbermaid / HD "Big Orange" cooler. My 21 # mash was within 1.5" of the top.

Just pre-heat it with some 175ish degree water and you can either let it cool to your dough in temp or empty and add your mash water at the proper temp.

I just did a 7.5 lb grain batch yesterday w/my 10 gallon MT and it worked great. I had trouble at the beginning because that little water cooled down more than I thought it would when I put it in the cooler but I do that before the grain so it wasn't much of an issue and could correct before the mash. With stirring a few times in the hour it was still within a degree of what I started at.

Good luck with it!

Back