Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A tablespoon in the mash of a 5 gallon brew.

It's not very effective at reducing pH, though. The approach in the sticky will work a lot better.

A tablespoon in the mash of a 5 gallon brew.

It's not very effective at reducing pH, though. The approach in the sticky will work a lot better.

Have you tested 5.2 with a pH meter? As a Nuclear Chemist for over a decade my work life revolved around pH - as that is the primary way to damage a nuclear reactor due to corrosion.... 5.2 is a buffer and functions the same way that buffer calibration salts function (ph 4.0, 7.0 and 10.0 are the basic ones).

To ensure this information is accurate I tapped some fresh water from my sink. I calibrated a brand new pH meter with both 4.0 and 7.0 solution. I then measured the tap water - 8.74, 10 minute later 8.79. Fairly close for a $50.00 pH meter. I added 1tsp of 5.2 (less than I should have for a 500ml sample but this is a test of what it does). It read 5.51 and 10 minutes later read 5.45. Well - that my friends is close enough for me. I will be brewing with 5.2 to take all the thought and guesswork out of my mash pH.

I will be HAPPY to film and youtube this exact expirement should anyone have doubts.... Including factory sealed buffer solution, etc.

As I understood it, the point of the product was to control the pH of a mash. Apparently I was under a misapprehension. Thanks for conducting the experiment, even though the 5.2 didn't get to 5.2 in your tap water.

It will also control the pH as a buffer is just that - it will change to a specific value and hold until an adverse chemical reaction depletes it's buffering capabilities. I only used 1 tsp in a 500ml beaker to get the 5.5 readings - was looking to ensure it does reduce the pH more than buffer it. The point of the experiment was to ensure the 5.2 wasn't a waste of $$$ and to get my damn 8.8 tap water down to Mash pH so my Pilsner will be absolutely yummy! The results shall be public in 10 weeks! Lagers need to reach drinkin' age before consumption!!!!

The problem with 5.2 is that it uses sodium salts which can be damaging to the flavor profile of the beer.

Also a mash is not the same as tap water and water hardness also plays a role in the effectiveness of the product.

Getting pH right is not that difficult, especially if you have soft water. To start it's really as simple as indicated in the water primer.

There are plenty of reports of the product being ineffective at the recommended usage rate.

Ah the beauty of Homebrew!!! 1000 opinions and none are actually wrong!!! Should you have very soft water (all reading single digit) like mine in Charlotte, NC and be brewing a Pilsner Urquell like clone then 5.2 is the perfect creature to get your 8.8 tap water down where you want it. Should you need LOTS of alkalinity then it is not the best application for it... To each his own and Happy Brewing!!!! My 5.2 PU's taste spot on and are easily mistaken for commercial ones!!!

For what its worth... I use the 5.2 as a phosphoric buffer in my sparge water to keep the pH down to mash pH.

Tannin extraction is tied to higher pH not only just temperatures over 170*F (want proof? why do you think that german beers that use a decoction mash - that straight up boil grain husks - don't always come out tasting astringent from tannins? Answer: mash pH prevents the extraction)

phosphoric acid is best option for pH adjustment without taste problems (distant 2nd place goes to lactic acid). Funny part is I don't use it in my mash at all, just needed to adjust my sparge water.

A lot of bad info in this thread, a wise brewer would look elsewhere for water chemistry advice...

I was a big 5.2 user but have seen the light. While many things have been said about taste and so forth I have never tasted anything bad

HOWEVER. It,s really worth your time to read the Primer in the Brew Science forum if you want to increase your brewing knowledge.

Latest posts

Back