4V, 2P, 1 BURNER, EHERMS Help??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillieP

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on a design. I would like to set up an Eherms with an LP BK burner. I hope I have attached a very basic diagram.

Looking at a single tier with burner off to the side. Would like to run my theory of operation by you and see if there are issues...

1. heat strike water in BK, when at temp pump to MT. Set PID for first step and recirc to stabilize. turn off pump and dough-in. Wait 10 min then start pump with valve closed and slowly open. Recirc (MT-pump-HEX-MT) for duration of mash increasing flow as able, step mash if things go right.
2. during mash, heat strike water, after mash is complete, change over tubing to pump strike water from BK to HLT.
3. To modified fly sparge, more tubing changes (HTL-LBP-HEX-MT-PUMP-BK).
4. When sparge is complete, during boil, recirc from HLT-LBP-HEX-MT-PUMP-HLT. As a means of heating cleaning water and rinsing the system.

This works in my head and on paper I guess. But I have no experience with pumps, recirculating, or Eherms, so anyone out there that is running something similar that would like to chime in it would be much appreciated!

PS. I thought of raising the HLT above the MLT and gravity feeding it, but for the price of a little brown pump I figured why not keep it on one level?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers!
Willie P

4 V 2 PUMP.png

LBP= little brown pump.
Small 12/24vdc pump, they are like $23.00. The other pump would be a 'real' pump.

Are you using gravity to drain from your mash tun to the boil kettle? If your fly sparking on a single tier you'll need to use the pump for that.

I think I didn't explain myself clearly enough, like I said, it makes sense in my head.

To modified fly sparge I would: pump sparge water from HLT, thru the HEX (for temp adjustment and also to flush out HEX) to top of MT using little brown pump. The level of the sparge water in the MT would be controlled by an autospage. The output of the MT at the lower port would be pumped to the BK by the main pump.

I've read about systems using this basic concept, but they are not 4 vessel, as the small separate HEX outside the HTL does not seem to be as common.

Cheers,
Willie P

Yes, the four vessel version is less common, but it is done. Presuming that you intended to type "sparge" instead of "strike" in step two, that all sounds fine. The smaller volume of the separate HEX pot should enable it to respond more quickly, so a step mash might be possible. You'll just have to experiment to see how much delta-T you can achieve with it.

jrcrilly, This seems to be much more popular with the Aussies. I've been researching on Aussie Home Brewer and they typically achieve 1*C/min temp rise. If things go to crap on me, I can infuse with hot water to help the 'step' and then maintain temp with the Ehex.

Thanks for the response.

I hope to have successfully added a simple diagram of my design.

Please assume a valve is closed unless told it is open. Yellow circles are quick disconnects. A dashed line indicates a hose that will need to be moved during brewing. Only V5 would be used to throttle flow, all other valves are either open or closed. Planning on P1 as a little brown pump and P2 to be MKII. HLT and MLT are Igloo drink coolers.

1. Add strike water to MLT. Set PID for first step and recirc till stable temp is reached. Flow path is MTL-V2-V8-P2-V5-V6-HEX-auto sparge-MLT.

Turn off pump and dough-in. Wait 10 min then start pump with V5 closed and slowly open. Recirc same flow path for duration of mash increasing flow as able, step mash if things go right.

2. During mash, heat sparge water in BK, after mash is complete, change over tubing to pump sparge water from BK to HLT. Flow path is BK-V3-V9-P2-V5-V6-V1-HLT

3. To modified fly sparge, more tubing changes (HTL-V1-P1-V4-HEX-auto sparge-MLT-V8-P2-V5-V7-BK).

Thanks for having a look at this, as I've mentioned I'm new to the pump/recirc/HERMS world and would like to get it right the first go round. Any input is welcome, good or bad.

Cheers,

Willie P

BREW RIG.png

Back