4L starter in multiple containers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29thfloor

Reaction score
I need to do a starter somewhere in the 3-4L range but I only have a 2L flask. Can I do a 2L starter and then split the yeast between two containers and do 2L starters in each to get a 4L starter?

You can do it, but I wouldn't bother unless you have 2 stir plates.

2L stirred culture will give you more cells than 4L unstirred.

I don't even have 1 stir plate if that makes any difference. So the whole thing will be unstirred. I can blast them with pure O2 though.

I have done this (make two 2l starters). I used 1 stir plate too. First I made a starter then fermented it out on the stir plate. The next day I made another starter and added a few ml from the first starter to it. I fermented that out and had two 2l starters in 2 days. Simple :cross: I probably could have done it in just one day giving each 12 hours on the stir plate...

BTW mine were really 1.5l starters cause that's all I put in a 2l flask but you get the idea. I don't know how (exactly) people use o2 for starters but building a stir plate wasn't too hard.

I'm just gonna go for and see what happens. I did a 1L starter the other day that's in the fridge now. I'll step up to 2L tonight and then crash cool again, decant the wort and split the slurry between 2 containers and add another 2L wort to each.

I have to imagine I'll end up with more yeast than if I just step up to 2L and use that. Maybe not the same as a single 4L on a stir plate but still more than I can get in a single container right now.

No worries. Is this for 2 ales or 2 lagers? If its ales you are in the clear. Lagers... probably fine too. Probably. Stir plate is the way to go.

Back