4500W vs 5500w and ripple vs straight foldback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
I am doing some modifications to my brewery and would like some input. Right now I have a 5500W ripple in my BK and only using an underpowered heatstick in my HLT. I would like to install a larger wattage element directly into my HLT, both will be using the triclover fittings for ease of removal. I will never have the BK and HLT on at the same time (don't have the current for that), so I am wondering if:

1: Should I go with another 5500W ripple in the HLT, or a 4500W one?
2: Use my 5500W one for the HLT and go with the 4500W one in the BK.
3: If #2 should I use the 4500W straight (fold back) in the BK one for ease of cleaning (Camco 02922/02923 4500W 240V Screw-In Lime Life Foldback Water Heater Element - Ultra Low Watt Density).
4: Screw it, use 5500W ripple for both and shorten by brew day a bit.

Thanks.

the difference in the HLT will be minimal, but might as well go for the higher wattage one. your PID will be choking down on the heat anyway.

for the BK I would go with as much heat as you can safely get away with. I am assuming you use a PID on manual (or something like it) for boil control, so you are not going to use it at 100% all the time anyway.

I have settled on 4500W for 7-8 gal batches in 15gal pot due to my existing control panel limitations of 20amp contactors.

However, I am trying to solve the same issue of which 4500W element to chose for my BK: fold back (straight) or ripple fold back.

I looked at camco catalog and both elements call for the same minimum water heater tank diameter of 15 inch.

I hope some one could chime in on the actual length on these elements!

EDIT: I am quoting user's comment on Amazon for 02923 fold-back element:
I have one on hand and the exact length is 9 3/4". That's not counting the threads at the base of the element. That's the element only.

I second the idea of easy cleaning for straight element vs ripple.

Back