40watt Farmhouse West

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40watt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Westmalle WY3787
Yeast Starter
2L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
optional Brett secondary
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
38.6*
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
possible extended Brett secondary
Tasting Notes
This combination creates an extremely crisp and light flavor while retaining body.
This recipe is a bit of a hybrid between a Belgian Blonde and a Saison. Despite the use of Westmalle yeast and it's light color, the spirit of this beer is very much Saison.

80% efficiency. 6 gal at the end of boil. 5 gal into the bottles.

7lbs pilsner.

3lbs white wheat

.5 flaked oats

.25 acid malt (ph concerns)

1.5 ounces East Kent Goldings (Styrian Goldings or Tettnang should be nice.) First Wort Hopped

2 ounces aged Saaz. 5 minutes.

*38.6 IBU (Rager) is a bit misleading. While the beer would shurely be very nice with a sharper more pronounced bitterness, the use of FWH and aged hops make the hop character round and soft.

90 minute mash at 146 degrees.

Single batch sparge at 170 degrees.

90 minute boil.

2L starter of WY3787 Trappist High Gravity (Westmalle) Trappist High Gravity.

Pitched at 68 F. Free rise to mid 70s.

Look for a Terminal Gravity under 1.010. The further the better IMHO.
If you dry this out to about 1.005 as I did, you get about 7% ABV.

The low mash temp, yeast choice, and fermentation is all to dry this beer out as much as possible. I like a Saison to be bone dry. Trappist High Gravity is my House Belgian yeast. It works quite well in a Saison.

The use of wheat and oats does a lot to retain body. It also will allow you to retain body while doing a Brett secondary. I like to combine strains. I have Brett Brux and Brett. C (white labs) in secondary now.

The base beer is just incredible. Just the right balance of phenolics from the yeast, malt flavor and soft round hop character.

I will be doing this beer with all my favorite Belgian yeast strains. 3711 would no doubt be wonderful.

Latest posts

Back