-402 display on TA7 MYPIN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esmitee

Reaction score
I was setting up my new control panel using TA7 mypins PICS, They originally displayed the correct temperature when I plugged the pt100's in . Then I started to look at the settings and changed a few things and now all I get is -402 on the display and when I hold the pt100, the temperature does not go up or down. Funny thing is I have two of them and I did it to both of them. I checked the PT 100 in the Auber PID right below it, and they all work fine. HELP!

I was setting up my new control panel using TA7 mypins PICS, They originally displayed the correct temperature when I plugged the pt100's in . Then I started to look at the settings and changed a few things and now all I get is -402 on the display and when I hold the pt100, the temperature does not go up or down. Funny thing is I have two of them and I did it to both of them. I checked the PT 100 in the Auber PID right below it, and they all work fine. HELP!
Its not wired correctly.(Thats why they are both behaving that way) Did you use the wiring schematics in the directions or the ones on the ta7... The one in the directions is wrong for that model if I rememebr right you need to follow the sticker on the pid.
can you tell us how you have it wired? cant do much until we know which wires are currently where.

Its not wired correctly.(Thats why they are both behaving that way) Did you use the wiring schematics in the directions or the ones on the ta7... The one in the directions is wrong for that model if I rememebr right you need to follow the sticker on the pid.
can you tell us how you have it wired? cant do much until we know which wires are currently where.
Hey Augie, thanks. Im pretty sure I followed the diagram on the controllers. But maybe not? Im at work, I'll follow up when I get home today.
The weird thing is, both controllers were reading the same ambient temperature as the pt100 I have connected to the Auber EZboil. I even swapped all of the probes into the TA7's and the Auber, and they read correctly.... until I changed some setting. I dont remember what 1 that was? I checked the connections, and all were tight.
Maybe I do have the wiring backwards......I hope.

well the only setting I can think of that would effect it is the actual temp sensor type setting which should be set to "PT" instead of a thermocouple setting.

In my quest for info to correct my problem, I came across this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/pid-rtd-sensor-issues.571081/#post-7378012

"Check Wiring/Loose Wire(s) For RTD [Pins7-10]
If Using 2 Wire RTD, No External Jumper Installed Pins 7&8
3-Wire RTD, External Jumper Installed Pins 7&8
4-Wire RTD, No External Jumper Installed Pins 7&8

Still Nothing, Verify TA4 Settings; LSP-Low Temp Setting USP-High Temp Setting Range
Vefify (InP) Input Selection Setting TC: K,J,T,E,S, Pt100, Cu50
Factory Default is K
Verify MAX Input Limit & MIN Input Limit"
+
"It's Also Getting Late for Me Here, But Food For Though.
Maybe During Initial Setup, 3-Wire RTD Had a Loose Connection, Red Wire,
Pin-9, Maybe Intermediate Loose Connection Inside Crimp Connector,
TA4 Sensed a 2-Wire RTD Setup, Playing Around w/RTD Wiring Created
3rd (Red)Wire Connection, Now It's Really a 3-Wire Requiring Jumper.

Your Problem Might Happen Again, Possibly Due To The Crimp Connections,
Crimps Are Large Compared To RTD Thin/Small Gauge Wire Used."

On my TA7's I have wired the Pt 100's like this:

pin #10= No Wire
pin #11 = White Wire
pin #12 = Red Wire
pin #13 = Red Wire
I assume the Pt 100's I have are "3" wire?
Augie, If you remember I posted questions about extending the RTD probes, and found that the 2 RED wires were on 1 pin of the 3 pin connectors. You verified that yours were wired the same way.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/quick-connect-rtd-probes.638542/

So all I did was put a jumper between Pins #10 and pin #11........Wa La.......FIXED !!!

So now I'm real confuzed. Are mine 3 wire OR 2 Wire
? Well all that really matters is it works now!

In my quest for info to correct my problem, I came across this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/pid-rtd-sensor-issues.571081/#post-7378012

"Check Wiring/Loose Wire(s) For RTD [Pins7-10]
If Using 2 Wire RTD, No External Jumper Installed Pins 7&8
3-Wire RTD, External Jumper Installed Pins 7&8
4-Wire RTD, No External Jumper Installed Pins 7&8

Still Nothing, Verify TA4 Settings; LSP-Low Temp Setting USP-High Temp Setting Range
Vefify (InP) Input Selection Setting TC: K,J,T,E,S, Pt100, Cu50
Factory Default is K
Verify MAX Input Limit & MIN Input Limit"
+
"It's Also Getting Late for Me Here, But Food For Though.
Maybe During Initial Setup, 3-Wire RTD Had a Loose Connection, Red Wire,
Pin-9, Maybe Intermediate Loose Connection Inside Crimp Connector,
TA4 Sensed a 2-Wire RTD Setup, Playing Around w/RTD Wiring Created
3rd (Red)Wire Connection, Now It's Really a 3-Wire Requiring Jumper.

Your Problem Might Happen Again, Possibly Due To The Crimp Connections,
Crimps Are Large Compared To RTD Thin/Small Gauge Wire Used."

On my TA7's I have wired the Pt 100's like this:

pin #10= No Wire
pin #11 = White Wire
pin #12 = Red Wire
pin #13 = Red Wire
I assume the Pt 100's I have are "3" wire?
Augie, If you remember I posted questions about extending the RTD probes, and found that the 2 RED wires were on 1 pin of the 3 pin connectors. You verified that yours were wired the same way.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/quick-connect-rtd-probes.638542/

So all I did was put a jumper between Pins #10 and pin #11........Wa La.......FIXED !!!

So now I'm real confuzed. Are mine 3 wire OR 2 Wire
? Well all that really matters is it works now!

a lot of them have 3 or 4 pins on the plugs and have 3 wires but are only 2 wire. this came up in another thread recently where I just learned this myself.

I'm confused how it ever worked for you before?

I don't know either?

I did remove the SS braided cables that were on the probes when I purshased them.
I made the new cables 10' long by resoldering 24 gauge wire to the quick connects and the XLR jacks. On the quick connect ends I soldered the 2 red wires on pin #2, and the white wire on pin #1. On the XLR jack, I soldered 1 red wire on pin #1, the other red wire on pin #2 and the white wire on pin #3.
That's also how I wired the XLR outlets on the panel so I could connect to the pid. Is that RIGHT?
Or should I have connected the wires on XLR JACKS by putting the 2 red wires on pin 2 and white wire on pin 1?
I didnt thing so because , if I hadn't extended the wiring and used it as it was as I purchased them, I would still connect the 3 wires to thier respective pins as per the diagram on the controller.

Back